chimney fires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltieri1

Jan 29, 2009
Southeast PA
i got directed here for some answers to or suggestions as to how to maximize the heat output of my wood burning insert - this is my third season with the stove. this year in particular it doesn't seem like its keeping my house as warm as years before.

when i got on the forum i got wrapped up reading previous posts before i posted a new thread, now i am fixated on the chimney fire topic.

as i have been reading other posts, i can say that i too have build-up of creosote (?) at the mesh on the SS cap on top of my chimney. it looks like a good deal, but with no point of reference, i am not sure - it's too icy today to go up there to check, but i'll do that soon.

my stove is a Lopi 'Freedom' with flu option so it can be used like a regular fireplace, with a full SS liner and cap. i burn a good seasoned hardwood and am not a complete newb, but new enough to not know about fires.

how would i know if i've had a chimney fire or if i am at risk - i have not heard any of the 'typical' signs (ie. 747, freight train sounds) nor can i see my chimney if i am inside, so i wouldn't be able to see the afterburner-like flames coming from my chimney. ??? any signs that might show up anytime leading up to a fire that i could look for? chimney was clean the beginning of this year, but now for the first time [ever] i am seeing the aformentioned creosote at the chimney cap. the glass is clean (not black), so i think i burn hot enough.

sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help.

steve

Steve, this is a common worry. First and foremost, usually if you burn good fuel, you won't have much of a problem at all. However, with a cap that has a screen, that can speed things up a bit because the wire gets cold and as the gasses pass though it cools so fast that creosote can form fast. Quick fix is to remove the screen. If that is not possible (because of local code), then you can go to work with wire cutters and remove half of the screen or replace with larger screen.

If you had a chimney fire, even though your chimney is outside, you would know it! And the only sign leading up to a chimney fire is a dirty chimney followed by a hot fire.

btw, we have never had a chimney fire and have burned wood for over 50 years. We just make sure our wood is well seasoned, preferably not less than 2 years, and we also keep a watch on the chimney; that is, check it often. Since we installed the new Fireview stove though, we haven't cleaned the chimney though we did knock just a little from the top by poking a rod up there. We got maybe a cup full or less. That is a clean burning stove!

I cleaned my chimney yesterday and swept down a very small amount of dry powder--way less than a cup from half a season of
burning. The wire mesh wasn't covered, but there was some build up on it and I gave it a couple of good whacks on the roof to
clear it. Darned if I'm not getting better performance out of the stove today. I'm able to cut the air further,and it's coming up
to temperature faster. It could be a combination of things. I also noticed down below that my damper is actually fully open at
11 o'clock, not 12 o'clock, so that minor adjustment may be helping too.

It was slippery up there. Be careful when you go up. I ended up sliding slowly butt first using a chimney rod as a hiking stick
and to test the ice that was under the snow on the roof. I'll tell you, even though my chimney didn't need cleaning, the peace
of mind of doing it is worth it.

Saltieri1 said:
thanks dennis! i have no code requiring me to keep the mesh, i'll remove that asap and check on the chimney often.

Thanks. Let us know how you turn out. A pair of wire cutters and 10 minutes is all it takes. Good luck.

i'll start by saying ........... I HATE HEIGHTS!!!!!!!!! namely, hieghts that have me on an alumnimum ladder, 25ft. in the air, over black-top, hugging the top of the chimney while trying to complete a [dirty] task. ... but now that's its done, next time will be easier.

now that the job is done ... here's my report...........

chimney cap was pretty much caked with 1/4 inch of soot/creosote - and the 'mesh' was almost 1" square holes (!), so i felt that was large enough and did not cut anything to open it more. the SS 6" liner did not look too bad, but after i swept it, i got a ton of creosote at the bottom -- not like the dude up above, who just got a 1/2 cup or so, it seemed i'd have been able to fill a half-gallon container or more. ?!?!! granted, i have burned about 4+ cords since it was new, and this was the first time i cleaned it. (note to self, check and/or clean more often) i scooped most of it out, vaccumed the rest, and feel much better now that its done.

i'll post more as to how much more efficient it works -- i hope.

finally, the question that made me hunt this forum in the first place.... what do you find to be the most efficent way to run a wood burning stove? (ie. most results while trying to conserve wood - or at least as much as possible)

steve

The most efficient way to run a wood stove:

1. Get the wood you intend to burn in 2010-2012 on hand by this spring! Get it split and stacked in the wind and sun. Leave the stack uncovered until late fall or early winter and then cover the top only.

2. Don't burn any wood that has seasoned any less if at all possible. But some wood can season over the summer months in a pinch.

3. When building a fire, put only as much fuel in as required to bring the house to the temperature you want. There is no sense in filling a stove to the brim when the outdoor temperature is above freezing. That is only a waste of wood. Better to burn a small fire but burn it hot than to burn a large fire and try to damper it down.

4. Check your chimney at least monthly for the first few years you are burning wood until you know what to expect.

5. Burn good wood. You wouldn't burn marginal gas in your car and expect good performance so why would you do that with a wood heating stove?

6. Relax and enjoy the heat.

7. Count your blessings.

8. Don't forget to check in this forum regularly. You will keep learning faster that way.

Congrats on your successful chimney and cap cleaning.

I love the view from my roof, but I'm not crazy about heights either.

Dennis gave some excellent advice.

Sometimes watching someone build a good fire can be helpful. Here's the Canadian
film that many have found informative:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

Wood is not the only thing to consider. I burn my wood real hot every few fires for a while. I think this gets rid of the creosote and keeps the chimney clean. My house burned down on christmas morning from a fireplace insert. Nothing is more miserable as watching your house burn down. It wasn't a chimney fire but they thought it was at first. The fire inspector is quite sure the insert failed and a spark got out of the stove. I have decided to go with an outdoor wood stove. Stuff around the stove and dumb stuff like a newspaper on the hearth. A small coal coming out that you don't see, or putting ashes in the garage and you swear there are no hot ambers left. Just be careful. Later, Steve.

man, you guys rock!!! in one post of a thread, i have recieved more positive response, usable information, and informative stories and suggestions than all of my forum experience combined in any site - not that i have a lot of experience, but still... thank you!

i already see a difference. i had it all wrong, i was burning too much wood, damped down, and the stove needed to be cleaned. i am on a much better track, thanks largely impart to you guys.

and dennis - you hit it on the head, 'count your blessings' .......... and i count mine every day.

ihookem said:
putting ashes in the garage and you swear there are no hot ambers left. Just be careful. Later, Steve.

Oh yeah... and only put the ashes in a metal bucket, and never put that metal bucket on a wooden deck!

(Not that I've done this, but I've heard stories)

We need to get a thaw around here before I'll be able to get up on the roof to check the chimney. I'll be doing my mid-season inspection the first chance I get. I'm going to try my hand at cleaning the chimney myself too.

-SF

first off - i wish i could change the name of this thread, it has now turned into something other than a chimney fire related topic. but anyway ....

SF posted ... "I'm going to try my hand at cleaning the chimney myself too."

SF, if you are going to clean your own chimney, first i would ask the fine folks that post here how they do it - i am sure you'd get a bunch of great suggestions ... but from my amatuer experience i can say it was much easier than i would have thought.

here's what i know - first, if you have a metal (stainless) chimney liner, *do not use a metal wire brush!!!* use a poly bristle brush, from what i hear, the metal brush on the metal liner will jam up and you'll really have a problem on your hands with a brush jammed in your chimney -- 3 people told me this - don't know if its true. but i got a poly brush and it worked like a dream.

one thing i can say is the creosote comes right off!!! of the chimney [liner] and the cap, one or two passes and it was clean. the hardest part was, since i cant access my chimney from my roof, i had to stand on a ladder the whole time, and hold on to whatever i could while doing the job - and i dont like heights. i'd guess if you can stand on your roof while doing it, it will be a simple job.

secondly, the wife was up-in-arms because i must not have closed off the vent all the way and fine black soot made its was into my house. so, learn from me ... keep the area around the stove clean, and keep the wife happy. ;-P

i am sure i could elaborate on the minor details, but i am short on time. long-story-short, ... do it yourself!, its easier than you might think, the sense of accomplishment is nice, and more than anything else, you'll know first hand what its all about inside there - thats a nice feeling!

good luck.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.