Chimney Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
I have heard a lot about chimney fires but have never witnessed one. Are chimney fires usually contained to within the chimney and extinguished from the roof or do they typically spread to existing parts of the structure, ie roof, attic, etc? I know there are all sorts of variables...but what would the typical scenario be?

typically the pipe gets hot and ingites surrounding wood structures. The rating on pipe is X amount of degress and X amount of time it takes to breach the heat rating. Im shure you will get more specific details on here.
Ryan

I think that "typically," they are contained by the chimney liner and eventually burn themselves out. That's been my experience, anyway. Not very pleasant in any event.

I think the 'typical' case is pretty mild, a lot of fire and smoke contained to the chimney/liner. If there are any defects in that system, however, it can spread out into the framing.

Like everything else, there's a gradient. I suspect 'most' chimney fires go largely unnoticed. serious ones get your attention. some burn your house down.

Steve

"If there are any defects in that system"

That's the key right there defects. Thus the importance of annual inspection, and if your doing it yourself then know what your looking at.

A few years back, i rented a small cabin when i was building my home. The cabin had a lopi fireplace insert inside a 1880's stone fireplace, the chimney was huge and unlined. I of course told the landlord that it needed to be lined for it to work properly. This was the only heat source in this small 400 square foot cabin at 9000' altitude. It was a new install and i was the first tenant who got to use it. Well to make a long story short, i caked the inside of the flue within a 4 month period of non-stop burning. And the stove would never get into secondary combustion. Well I had one hell of a chimney fire that spring. It sounded like a boeing 747 taking off in my living room. It even brought a few neighbors out side to watch the top of the chimney flaming like a blow torch. If this was a flue inside the building envelope that cabin would have been gone. I cant stress the importance of a proper installation weither is a liner, or a new class A chimney.

It's a pretty helpless feeling, regardless of what kind of liner you have or don't have inside your chimney. The only time I had a real bad one I resisted the temptation to call the fire department. It's a tough decision, but I felt they would have done more harm than good. Of course, I had a new ss liner, which gave me the confidence not to panic.

MountainStoveGuy: Sorry man, but your avatar creeps me out.

HOW TO PUT ONE OUT?

First call 911

What we did when I was on the firedepartment was put ONE cup of water insite the WOODSTOVE with Class A chimney and shut the door.
The steam that the water would make would be enough to stop the fire.

But you do need the fire department to check if the fire is out and if there was any extention into the attic or other framing.

Status
Not open for further replies.