Chimney Flue Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cards66

May 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I am moving my insert from one fireplace to another in the home. After I moved my insert out of my current fireplace I noticed the damper has been removed. (I am not the orignal owner of the house) i assume this was done to make room for the insert. I don't know if I will need to remove it out of the new fireplace as it is a little bigger. I assume i can remove the dampe out of the fireplace I am going to move th insert to and put it in the old one? THe house was built in the 50's and I know I should have a picture so you better tell me. I will try to get one in the near future. However, if I don't need to reomve the damper in the new fireplace is there a way of sealing up the other fireplace without a damper? I have seen the balloons you can put in there but I don't know if that would work by itself. Any ideas?

I would think a block off plate (without a hole) and a top cap would work. You might want to put a sign in there indicating that the fireplace is no longer usable. Maybe put a potted plant in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.