Chimney for free standing stove in a one story extension.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
Understanding that codes vary by municipality, I'm just looking for general information.

A buddy of mine is interested in putting a free standing stove in his den, which is a one story extension on his three story Victorian. He wants to put it in the far corner of the room, farthest from the main body of the house. His understanding is that the chimney has to clear the top of the main house. That's both impractical and silly looking, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be necessary. Anybody know if there's a way around that?

Thanks,

"Impractical" - putting the stove at the far corner of the room farthest from the main body of the house. Hmmm... yup, I agree. I have no idea how exactly it will look since I'm not there of course so can't comment on silly.

Better to put the stove closer to the heart of the home - better heating. Run the chimney inside if at all possible to help keep it warmer to draw better. That would be a more practical design. Without knowing more about the layout of course that is all just broad feedback.

How far out does this extension stick out? I can just imagine the wind currents around a house and the potential for draft problems if you were to have a chimney terminate in any of the many wrong areas next to a 3 story house...

The national code (if you're in the US) calls for three foot above any part of the structure in a 10 foot radius. Your locality may have stricter codes. Three feet is measured from the shingles or roofing material to the top of the stovepipe, NOT the birdcage.

I have this crap memorized at this point because I too plan on building my own chimney.

I have a similar set but with a two story house. My chimney is 15' from the two story part and meets code and I still had problems when the wind came from a certain direction and was over 20 mph. Under 20 was fine. This fall I added 2' which brings it about 1' above the soffit of the main part of my house and so far no problems. We had a nor'easter blow through last week with winds of 30+ mph and I had no problems so I hope I'm good to go this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.