chimney for new home with hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckn

Aug 24, 2010
Virginia Mountains
Need help deciding which way to install my new Heritage. I have a great room with cathedral ceiling 6/12 pitch on roof and 3/12 pitch on inside of room. The new Heritage has a rear heat shield as well. So Im torn between going straight up from top of stove, through the trusses and out for no 90 degree bends.....but my wife has to give up here mantle.....So then I think- OK- I'll go through the wall with thimble and have one 90 degree into the class A on exterior and then frame a nice chase with cedar lap siding around it. My total height either way to get 2 feet of clearance over the ridge of the roof will be about 15 feet. I also have a 16 inch eave to go through on the gable end.

My questions are:

1) If I choose to go through side wall....will it help to insulate that chase to improve draft. Just regular bat insulation?
2) Will I have enough clearance to leave eave intact somewhat with the 6 inch class A (10" OD I think?)
3) Will the Heritage perform well with either scenario (straight up inside vs through wall)? Or is the exterior chase really inferior with that 90 degree - so that I have to go back and tell my wife to punt on her mantle idea for the hearth....?

This is a new house Im framing myself right now....shingles going on this weekend, so Im trying to lock down my strategy here....thanks guys!

Put up a nice knick knack shelf and call it a mantel. :p

We have one of these. I put it up because I needed something to put our projector on. Actually it turned out great. It's about 90% stuff and 10% projector, but it works and everyone is happy. This is on wall where the fireplace used to be.

Attachments

• IMG_0358_web.jpg
    IMG_0358_web.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 435
1) It will help somewhat to insulate the chase. Not much though since the chase is not heated. Batts are cheap I'd do it.
2) It will be hokey. What's with the dinky eaves?
3) The far superior performance option is straight up through the roof. That's how my heritage is installed. Installation is much cheaper, cleaning is easier, draft is superior, and it looks better, less like an add on afterthought.

For the mantle, well, realize that you can still have a mantle but it must be 6" from the double wall stove pipe in the room. The rear clearance is 7" and then your double wall is an inch or two beyond that. This means that if you put the stove as close as possible to the back wall that you can have a couple inches of mantle right behind the pipe but more importantly, on either side of the pipe you can have a deeper mantle.

I haven't installed the mantle yet but plan on a split mantle.

Attachments

• stovessmall1.jpg
    stovessmall1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 433
Highbeam said:
1) It will help somewhat to insulate the chase. Not much though since the chase is not heated. Batts are cheap I'd do it.
2) It will be hokey. What's with the dinky eaves?
3) The far superior performance option is straight up through the roof. That's how my heritage is installed. Installation is much cheaper, cleaning is easier, draft is superior, and it looks better, less like an add on afterthought.

For the mantle, well, realize that you can still have a mantle but it must be 6" from the double wall stove pipe in the room. The rear clearance is 7" and then your double wall is an inch or two beyond that. This means that if you put the stove as close as possible to the back wall that you can have a couple inches of mantle right behind the pipe but more importantly, on either side of the pipe you can have a deeper mantle.

I haven't installed the mantle yet but plan on a split mantle.

Thanks- I didn't realize my 16 inch overhangs on the ends of the house were dinky?? With My trim board a drip edge thats 17 inches...?

Just to clarify, not vocabulary police:

A mantel is over a fireplace.

A mantle is a cloak (or in a Coleman lantern).

Just to chip in on the option on the chimney. We have through-the-wall pipe into a tee and then up on the outside of the house. We live in a colder climate than you so if it were a problem with this setup we should know it. However, this is not the first time we've had our chimney this way (other homes) and we have never built a chase nor have we ever had a draft problem. Just make certain that if you go through the wall, the horizontal section needs a minimum rise of 1/4" per foot. We are closer to 1/2" per foot. Also, whenever you introduce a bend (the tee) that usually means you have to go another 2-3' higher with the chimney. However, this is rule of thumb. In practice, it does not always work out. For instance, our chimney is even shorter than you are proposing. It is not supposed to work, but it works great even though we are in the woods so are surrounded by tall trees.

highlander said:
Need help deciding which way to install my new Heritage. I have a great room with cathedral ceiling 6/12 pitch on roof and 3/12 pitch on inside of room. The new Heritage has a rear heat shield as well. So Im torn between going straight up from top of stove, through the trusses and out for no 90 degree bends.....but my wife has to give up here mantle.....So then I think- OK- I'll go through the wall with thimble and have one 90 degree into the class A on exterior and then frame a nice chase with cedar lap siding around it. My total height either way to get 2 feet of clearance over the ridge of the roof will be about 15 feet. I also have a 16 inch eave to go through on the gable end.

My questions are:

1) If I choose to go through side wall....will it help to insulate that chase to improve draft. Just regular bat insulation?
2) Will I have enough clearance to leave eave intact somewhat with the 6 inch class A (10" OD I think?)
3) Will the Heritage perform well with either scenario (straight up inside vs through wall)? Or is the exterior chase really inferior with that 90 degree - so that I have to go back and tell my wife to punt on her mantle idea for the hearth....?

This is a new house Im framing myself right now....shingles going on this weekend, so Im trying to lock down my strategy here....thanks guys!

I can't speak exactly on this topic . . . what I mean to say is I can't say I have experience with the Heritage or burning in your climate . . . but with my Oslo I had to go out and up (well after a 3-foot rise inside with double wall pipe and then I went out and up) due to home's construction. I was a bit concerned about possible issues with the draft, excessive creosote and the potential loss of heat not to mention the look of a whole bunch of Class A pipe running along the outside of the house. What I have found after burning two years here in Maine is a) the draft has rarely been an issue -- the only couple of times it has been a minor issue is when the outside temp is close to the inside temp . . . and this has been easily fixed by opening a nearby window, b) by burning seasoned wood and burning hot enough I have had very little creosote build up, c) I may be losing some heat by going outside with my chimney, but that said the stove is keeping the house warm enough so that it is our primary means of heat now and we're plenty warm and d) after having the Class A installed I realized it didn't look so bad that it needed a chase and to be frank the only person who can see it due to its home placement is my next door neighbor.

DanCorcoran said:
Just to clarify, not vocabulary police:

A mantel is over a fireplace.

A mantle is a cloak (or in a Coleman lantern).

Well that sounds like police to me.....thanks thats a real help.

Firefighter Jake and Backwoods Savage:

Thanks for the feedback. I have decided to go through the wall and up the outside with just the one 90. This will allow my wife to have her MANTEL, and I can put my skull mount bow killed elk up above it (good compromise) LOL. Im actually going to be at about 16 feet of chimney now- which should provide ample draft. I will build a chase and insulate it and post some pics! Thanks again....

highlander said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have decided to go through the wall and up the outside with just the one 90. This will allow my wife to have her MANTEL, and I can put my skull mount bow killed elk up above it (good compromise) LOL. Im actually going to be at about 16 feet of chimney now- which should provide ample draft. I will build a chase and insulate it and post some pics! Thanks again....

OOH, quick learner. He builds houses too. I like this guy already. :lol:
BeGreen, nice mantel.
In case no one's done this yet, welcome to the Hearth!

PapaDave said:
highlander said:

OOH, quick learner. He builds houses too. I like this guy already. :lol:
BeGreen, nice mantel.
In case no one's done this yet, welcome to the Hearth!

Thanks- yep- building a house off my sawmill, new sawmill shed, and barn...busy summer here on Riven Rock Farm. My firewood processing is suffering just a little due to all the other stuff...but I have to get on it big time. My place is at 3,000 feet in the coldest place in the mid atlantic- highland county VA. It ain't real good to be short on firewood come November.....

Ratman said:
really...they have winter in Virginia?
:)

Id almost put my winter up against yours.....this place is more like Maine than VA. Highest average elevation east of the mississippi. I'm in the valley at 3,000. It is really a lot like your neck of the woods.

highlander said:
Ratman said:

Id almost put my winter up against yours.....this place is more like Maine than VA. Highest average elevation east of the mississippi. I'm in the valley at 3,000. It is really a lot like your neck of the woods.

I'm sure it is for you up there but I couldn't resist since we have family that comes up to NH from Culpeper VA in July and they wear coats.

Ratman said:
highlander said:
Ratman said:

I'm sure it is for you up there but I couldn't resist since we have family that comes up to NH from Culpeper VA in July and they wear coats.

Culpeper is the flat lands- a differrent world away.... 55 here now, its gonna be 46 here tonight. Falls a coming!

One of these days I've got to take my wife down to Virginia and West Virginia . . . the mountains there have always had a certain appeal to her . . . well that and she's a big Waltons fan.

Highland Co. VA, Pocahontas, Pendleton, Randolph, Tucker, western Grant in WV are beautiful. Especially interesting are places like Cranberry Glades and Dolly Sods.

ShenValSteve said:
Highland Co. VA, Pocahontas, Pendleton, Randolph, Tucker, western Grant in WV are beautiful. Especially interesting are places like Cranberry Glades and Dolly Sods.

Love living in the area....I really like Laurel Fork area in Highland as well....

ShenValSteve said:
They have mountains in them there counties? Hell, I thought VA and WVA were the same state.

Highland Co is a nice slice of country side.

If Thomas is at 3,000 feet elevation, I guess that's the end of the conversation...

sullystull said:
ShenValSteve said:
They have mountains in them there counties? Hell, I thought VA and WVA were the same state.

Highland Co is a nice slice of country side.

Yep! Were in the valley at 3,000, surrounded by 4,500 foot ridges, just about like Thomas, WV. Tucker County is a beautiful place. But you guys have all them people!! Highland has 2,200 souls on 425 square miles....least populated county in the east. Good for elbow room.

Where U.S. Route 250 crosses the VA-WV state line between Hightown VA, and Thornwood WV, the road is at 4,330 feet above sea level. Not bad for east of the Mississippi.

Non-combustible mantle. Rick

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 249
fossil said:

I hope you were standing on something to take that shot !!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
fossil said:

I hope you were standing on something to take that shot !!

Of course. I was up on my Bully Pulpit, from which I issue all of my Declarations, Commandments, Proclamations, Ultimatums, Decrees, Edicts, and Fatwahs. (I can't do any of this when Marsha's home, because the whole upstairs belongs to her). But the dog and the cats pay strict attention. %-P Rick

Attachments

• pulpit.jpg
    pulpit.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.