chimney for wood/propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treesrgreat

Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2008
North central Iowa
Hi,
I have a propane water heater that is currently vented up thru the existing cinder block that has a tile liner in it. I'm considering a wood furnace add-on with my existing high efficiency propane furnace, which is vented with pvc. I have heard that if I install a wood furnace I will not be able to use the chimney for the wood furnace and the propane water heater. May sound like a silly question but why is that? Some options are to replace the water heater with a tankless or go power vent tank type. Which type of water heater would be best for efficiency? I read that tankless is more effcient but also much more costly intially. Just wondering if anyone else had this scenario, and what you did. Or if you have any suggestions on what I should do. Thanks.

Everything you have heard is correct from what I know.

Make sure the clay flue is large enough to support the wood unit you want before you do anything else though.

Status
Not open for further replies.