Chimney from house 1890

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks1964

Jun 22, 2014
Hello- can anyone provide me with some information about this chimney from the 1890? The left side was used for oil heat. Thanks

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
What kind of info are you looking for?

Are you trying to decide if it is still safe for wood heat? For oil heat? Is there a concern? Are you looking to install something new here? More info / better pics would be necessary to provide much useful information.

Welcome to the site, and good luck,

pen

Looks like 2 separate brick chimneys with a fireplace in the middle?
Prolly not but I can't tell what's going on there.

Hi again,

I will attach some more photos...having a little problem with the size of photos.
Here is what I am looking at. It is 2 separate chimneys...the one on the left side is used to vent the oil heat which I will be switching over to nat gas..the one on the right is? I am guessing it was used for a woodburning stove or coal? There was never a fireplace there to my surprise. The two chimneys were boxed in and there was a fake fireplace!! I would like to use the right side for a wood burning stove if possible? Any suggestions on what to do with the middle space between the 2 chimneys...I could put a TV above the area? I would like to leave the chimney bricks exposed..it was suggested by a realtor for aesthetics...any suggestions? The house is 1800 sq. feet...Any chance that there is a name for the round circle pipes in the chimney face? Thanks

those are old crocks. You will need an insulated liner in order to use the chimney for a wood stove. The furnace chimney should have one also if it doesn't already. For the furnace it is not absolutely necessary to insulate it but it will reduce condensation and improve performance. But The wood stove liner needs to be insulated. As far as what you can do in between there are lots of things that would work I personally would probably center the stove between those 2 chimneys but that is up to you.

Interesting.
Is this the basement or the floor above?

Status
Not open for further replies.