Chimney has been decapitated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime between last night and now the 45 MPH wind gust took my chimney cap somewhere, can't find it anywhere. First thought was Crap, second thought was I hope no one was in the path of my stainless steel chimney cap hurling through the air in a 45 MPH wind!

After the fact I began to remember thinking the wind is having quite the effect on the fire - now I know why.

I hope it wasn't a $130 cap.

LLigetfa said:
I hope it wasn't a $130 cap.

The $130 one wouldn't have blown off. :cheese:

Mine is secured to the chimney crown with four Tapcon screws for this exact reason.

Perhaps this explains the flying saucer rumors in your area.

My cap has a collar that tightens around the base. I tried pulling it off without unscrewing the vise. Nearly blew my o-ring trying. If it blows off my chimney, the house is gone with it.

A

My two cheap chimney caps both blew off the first year. Now they're attached with 1/4" machine bolts rather than the stupid little tabs that were supposed to dig into the clay liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.