Chimney Height, 7ft above roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hello, I just bought my first wood stove, a free standing Pacific Energy Vista. I read a lot about the2-3-10ft rule and still feel a bit confused about the height of chimney I should have. Right now I have 5ft of class-A double wall pipe that is extending from the roof, which meets the peak of my roof. The peak of the roof is about 8ft away from the chimney. Does this mean the chimney needs to rise an additionally 2ft above the peak? That would make 7ft of chimney extending from the roof? I know I would need a brace as well. Is that too much chimney to be sticking outside?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a little sketch for visual people:

Attachments

• chimney.png
    chimney.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 257
That's what I thought. Thanks for your help.

It's code I believe. I think as long as the chimney is 10ft away from the ridge you don't have to rise above it. Anything less than 10ft you would have to rise 2ft above it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see a lot that don't meet that spec too.

Ct state Building Code for sure. I don't have the NFPA section but I am pretty sure it comes from there.

RPK

An image of the 2-3-10 rule...

chimney2.gif

(Click image for full size)

KaptJaq

It has to be 2 feet above any part of the building that's within a 10' radius. If the penetration were near the bottom edge of a 12/12 pitched roof, it would have to stick up 12 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.