Chimney height question on this picture of my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I am going to be installing my Englander 30 (thank you brother bart for the $449 deal at Lowes:))in my greatroom and need to know how high my chimney would need to be to (approximately) to have safe clearances. In the picture below I plan on installing the stove in the corner of the room with the RED line indicating about where the chimney will be. My question is really...will I need to have it high enough to clear the roof lines on the rooms over the garage on the right and the house on the left? Or can it be high enough to be 10' from the surface of the roof?

Thank You

Attachments

• E-mail chimney picture jpg.jpg
    E-mail chimney picture jpg.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 316
If it is over 10 feet away then you only have to go up to clear the stuff WITHIN ten feet. It may pay to go up a little higher anyway - maybe 12 feet from the stove top up (min)....and also if you have wind related problems later, you may have to try a different chimney cap. But for starters, simply install it to code as per the manual and stove.

is it 10' from the top of the chimney? from roof level, the rooms above the garage are just about 10' however at 10' high the roof slopes back over the garage and it would more than likely be greater than 10' from anything.

Webmaster said:
If it is over 10 feet away then you only have to go up to clear the stuff WITHIN ten feet. It may pay to go up a little higher anyway - maybe 12 feet from the stove top up (min)....and also if you have wind related problems later, you may have to try a different chimney cap. But for starters, simply install it to code as per the manual and stove.

I beleive that you need to be 2' higher then anything within 10'

You need to come out the roof 3 ft and be 2 ft higher then anything with in 10 ft of the chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.