chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwest guy

Aug 10, 2014
Midwest
I want purchase a wood burning stove/furnace.
I had a local installer come out and bid the job.
He said that I will need a chimney height of approximately 47 feet to get the chimney a minimum of two feet above the peek of the highest point of the roof.
He said "you might have a problem with getting it to light".
I have one roof that runs north to south and the other runs east to west.
If I go two feet above the roof that runs north to south I would need a chimney height of 30 feet.
Any advice?
Thank you in advance.

If there is a good option for the shorter chimney I would go for that. The taller stack is likely to draft excessively.

Are you planning a basement install? Maybe putting a stove on the first floor will make the chimney shorter and give you a better opportunity to watch the fire. In addition, it is usually recommended to install the stove in the main living area as it is never guaranteed whether the heat will rise from the basement to the upper floors (certainly not an issue with a furnace).

[qdon'tote="Grisu, post: 1745567, member: 15236"]Are you planning a basement install? Maybe putting a stove on the first floor will make the chimney shorter and give you a better opportunity to watch the fire. In addition, it is usually recommended to install the stove in the main living area as it is never guaranteed whether the heat will rise from the basement to the upper floors (certainly not an issue with a furnace).[/quote]
I don't have any room on the first floor.It has to go in the basement. I know that it is less than ideal.

Is this a furnace or a stove installation? What make/model?

That's an EPA exempt stove. You'll be using that flue damper and might need a second one. Did you also look at the Performer? It should provide more heat with less wood consumed.

That's an EPA exempt stove. You'll be using that flue damper and might need a second one. Did you also look at the Performer? It should provide more heat with less wood consumed.
Yes, I looked at It.It was on back order and about $400 more than the Mountaineer.
Is there another stove in the $750 area or less you would recommend?

If you have a Rural King in your area you might check out the Drolet stoves. I have heard good things about them and they are under $1000. You can also check them out online at ruralking.com in case your local Rural King doesn't have them in the store at this time. They are an EPA stove.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.