Chimney Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekeeper

Apr 2, 2008
Virginia
I'm planning to put the Xtraordinair 44 Elite in my new house this summer. I'm going to run the SS chimney system through an exterior chase that I plan to insulate and cover with brick. I won't insulate between the chase and the house, and may even include some passive register vents to allow some of the interior air to circulate through the chase to really make it part of the "house envelope."

Have a problem though - just realized that the total height on this thing, as I've designed it, will be close to 42 feet - that's well over what the Fireplace Xtraordinair says is the chimney height max (35 feet from the bottom of the fireplace).

Any ideas? Do I need to just move the fireplace to the next floor? That's not out of the question, but can I then run some other woodstove in the basement on the 42 foot chimney system? I do want some sort of woodstove in the basement if I can't put the fireplace there.

Thanks!

They must think anything over 35' is going to overdraft and you can't fix it with a pipe damper since it's an insert. It may work fine at that height, but could very well overdraft. What about installing it and see how it drafts and if it's too strong you could put some kind of fixed obstruction or damper at the top of the chimney to slow it down? Also have heard of putting rocks in the first elbow to slow draft.

You should contact the tech dept at Travis - perhaps start with your dealer, but get something official (in writing or email) if Travis OKs the install with that tall of a chimney.

There are many possible ways to choke down a draft, but you want to make certain it is done in an approved way

Todd said:
They must think anything over 35' is going to overdraft and you can't fix it with a pipe damper since it's an insert. It may work fine at that height, but could very well overdraft. What about installing it and see how it drafts and if it's too strong you could put some kind of fixed obstruction or damper at the top of the chimney to slow it down? Also have heard of putting rocks in the first elbow to slow draft.

Do they have to be UL 103HT listed rocks? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.