Chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
How many feet of SS chimney exposed on the roof before you start running into problems? I have 8 feet and wondered if it's cooling my flu and reducing draft or increasing creosote?

What kind of chimney? normal double wall duravent?

With a straight up insulated chimney, I doubt you will run into any problems...at least as long as the entire vent length is 30 feet or less.

In general, this is not a problem. Most problems with external class A chimneys are due to jobs with a TEE at the bottom where the entire chimney length is outside.

I've got all 18 feet of insulated SS chimney outside and still have great draft and little creosote buildup. Is the stove running well, or are you having problems?

Smokey the only problem I see is 8' needs to be braced ,but there should be no problem with your draft

It's SS class A chimney and it's braced. Just wondered if it cooled to much. Have good draft and I am going to double wall black pipe interior wise, just for safety, and to keep from cooling the chimney anymore, I have 8 feet interior pipe also.

Webmaster said:
In general, this is not a problem. Most problems with external class A chimneys are due to jobs with a TEE at the bottom where the entire chimney length is outside.

What could be some possible solutions? I have been thinking for the since last season that my draft could be a little better. I am going to see if the stove shop will let me borrow the tool.

It is currently exiting out the top of the stove and up 3 feet with stovepipe then a 90 out 18" with SS class A to the TEE and up to above the roof with more SS class A , I forget the exact height, I think 21 feet.

Nice stove Smokey ;) When did you get it running?

Status
Not open for further replies.