Chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I know the chimney pipe needs to be 2 feet higher than anything within 10'. I have all that covered... I framed a chase for my duraplus chimney pipe that is about 3' x 2'. How far should the chimney pipe extend past the top of my chase???

Also, does anyone know where I can order a stainless chase cover that is about that size? The hole if off center...

The chimney must extend at least 3' from the point it exits the roof/chase, and then be 2' higher than anything within 10'.

Okay... I was afraid of that... Made my chase a little tall... Now I need to decide whether to live with it or bring it down about a foot...

SO....... Does the 3' rule apply to the top of the chimney cap or the inner opening of the the chimney cap??? Or, should the chimney cap not be involved in the 3' measure? Should it be 3' to the top of my last chimney section?

I would say measuring to the top of the cap is fine, but if you're worried it might be better to measure off the top of the pipe. Mine came out 2' above the roofline (and about 7' from where it first exits the roof) +/- an inch before the cap so I didn't worry about it.

Okay,
Dura Plus tech support just got back with me and referred to figure 29 in the instructions which states that it needs to estend out of the chase a minimum of 12"??? Any thoughts? The instructions do state that it needs to extend a minimum of 3' from the roof but as far as the chase, it states 12"

Ah, I see what you are saying. I'm not sure about how high above the chase itself the Class A is required to be. I was only thinking that, at a minimum, the Class A would need to extend 3' above the roof line, whether still enclosed in the chase or not. It may come down to a particular Class A manufacturer's requirement as to how much "must" be exposed from the chase.

I was having the same problem... I didn't know whether the chase was considered part of the roof... I just looked at the dura tech instructions and it states that it only needs to be 3 inches above the chase... Tech support emailed me but I want to get confirmation over the phone before I leave it alone. Right now I am about 12" above the chase

DuraVent says it needs to be at least 6" from the top of the chase for DuraTech. For the top flashing I'd go to a good sheetmetal shop and have them make one up out of stainless steel. They can put a nice drip edge on it and they can roll up the hole edges so that water flows away from it. Bring in a section of pipe for them so that they can test fit.

Attachments

• Duravent chase top.jpg
    Duravent chase top.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 599
Good info and diagram, BG. I would think that should clear things up nicely!

Alright... Talked to tech support. The duraplus needs to be 12". Figure 23 is from duratech and it only needs to be 6". Either way I am good to go.

Thanks!

Thanks for that additional information smmm. That's helpful indeed. I added DuraTech to my post to help avoid confusion. Good to hear that you are all set.

We all know and accept the 10/2 rule. The three foot min above the roofline is much less accepted as gospel. Not sure where that one came from but if I was to ignore something, that would be it. Is there any actual code requiring the 3 feet?

This is from DuraVent:

The National Fire Protection Association Standard #211 states: “Chimneys shall
extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof
of a building, and at least two feet higher than any portion of a building within
ten feet.â€

If one goes by the stove manual as the final say, it is doubly reinforced.

Attachments

• hearthstone 3-2.jpg
    hearthstone 3-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 815
Not sure what you mean on that last post.... I thought we established that it needed to be 12" past the height of the chase... The chase extends out of the roof about 7ft and the chimney pipe an additional foot... The total distance meets or exceed the requirement for the chimney to pass the 3' and 2'f from 10' rule...

Nevermind!!! I only read the last post... I just looked up at the others and know why you posted it now... Thanks again for all the help... I'll probably be back on soon when it is fired up... Will be looking for any helpful hints then...

BeGreen,
Sorry. I read through your post quick... I now see where you put duratech...

smmm, you read correctly. I added Duratech in an edit so that folks looking for info in the future will find the right answer.

Yah I just installed my Duravent chimney about a month ago. The pipe sticks out of my roof 7 feet to comply with this new draft code. I think it looks kind of rediculous. I actually get too good of a draft now, I think I need to install a dampener in my double wall pipe for my wood stove!

I know what you mean. That's why I ended up framing the chase for it. The chase is 3'x2' and comes out of the roof about 6-7'. Looks nice now. It looks like the chimney was built with the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.