Chimney help in ice shack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljl3

Mar 27, 2016
Wisconsin
Hello,
Im new to to forums. Greetings all!
My question..:
Im building a new ice shack, and am installing the nu way wood stove in it. I also purchased the pipe kit for it, which has a damper, flashing, storm collar, rain cap, and 6 ft of 3" pipe.
What is it that i would need to pass the pipe thru the roof?
TIA,
Mike

This is quite a bit out of the code book purview. Is there a roof thimble made for this type of installation? Have you tried an ice shack forum? Also, give Nu-Way a call. Maybe the marine industry has an appropriate deck fitting that could be adapted?
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152938.0

A stove in a building on top of a frozen lake?

I googled that to see if it was a real thing, and found this ->

Image1687965536.jpg

... I'm not wondering why it's no longer available... I'm just wondering if the people whose estates who are suing the company died from CO poisoning or falling into the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you get a walleye stove? There are 12,385 BTU in a 4 pound walleye. Light it up with split pine kindling, and start tossing in the walleye you will always be warm.
Northern pike are also good but only 9, 858 BTU per 4 pound fish.

Reactions: Jazzberry
A stove in a building on top of a frozen lake?

I googled that to see if it was a real thing, and found this ->

View attachment 177389

... I'm not wondering why it's no longer available... I'm just wondering if the people whose estates who are suing the company died from CO poisoning or falling into the lake.
Lots and lots of folks heat shacks as well as there homes with vent-free appliances. This one being only 10,000 Btus ain't gonna kill ya... It's just as dangerous as your kitchen range top.

It would take a long time to generate enough heat to melt several inches of thick ice with a stove inside an ice fishing shack . . . and most of the ice fishing shacks I've seen (with a few exceptions) aren't exactly air tight . . . in fact most are far from it . . . there's a reason they call them shacks and not ice fishing tiny houses.

We just used pellet stove vent in ours and made a sheet metal cutout to pass the pipe through the wall.

My bet would be on CO poisoning. I know some of those heaters that sit atop a propane tank have caused problems that way.

Guess you wouldn't understand a campfire on the lake either :p ... been there, done that with the kids when they were little. Most of the ice shanties are off the lakes now as we have had unseasonably warm temps for a month. From the sounds of it (literally), the lakes are building more ice with colder temps again.

It would take a long time to generate enough heat to melt several inches of thick ice with a stove inside an ice fishing shack . . . and most of the ice fishing shacks I've seen (with a few exceptions) aren't exactly air tight . . . in fact most are far from it . . . there's a reason they call them shacks and not ice fishing tiny houses.
Most are up on skids that elevate the shack 6-8" off the surface of the ice. At -30F there is little worry of melting the ice. Keeping warm though is a serious concern. With a small stove in a decent shack, one can keep the interior temp over 50F according to some. And that is with a canvas roof to keep the weight down.

We just used pellet stove vent in ours
Looking at the pipe kit, it appears you would be better off with the pellet stove vent (double walled). The kit appears to supply single wall. The only pitfall would be the lack of a damper for the pellet vent...

Most of our shacks here in NH are well insulated, generally the walls are just 2" rigid foam with some sort of minimal framing and "sheathing" to keep them as light as possible.
I'm amazed you don't hear of more CO deaths from heaters in these things. My buddy can get his 4 x 8' shack well into the 80's with just a open flame from his propane camp stove. He's also got a CO detector mounted in it and several 4" vent holes with removable insulated plugs in them.

Whatever you use, do it safely.

youd think but last year in a portable hut and a buddy heater, me and friend started with 8-10" of good ice and got down to about 4" after about 8 hrs in one spot. Thats when we decided to move

youd think but last year in a portable hut and a buddy heater, me and friend started with 8-10" of good ice and got down to about 4" after about 8 hrs in one spot. Thats when we decided to move
This is in a portable where the heat is in direct contact with the ice. Usually woodstoves are in hardside shacks that have a floor elevated from the ice by around a foot.

This is in a portable where the heat is in direct contact with the ice. Usually woodstoves are in hardside shacks that have a floor elevated from the ice by around a foot.
true I should've clarified that

Good that you were watching the ice thickness. Some wait a bit too long.

RescuetheLilyPadAgain-03-02-2010001.jpg

I've seen similiar begreen. Some have waited too long at the end of the season and get caught with that problem (if you look closely at the snow, there is a lot of slush)... hard to anticipate Mother Nature sometimes;lol

Every year a dozen or more vehicles have to be pulled out of the lakes around here. This year the grandstand was a dozen or so went in the drink at one time during a fishing jamboree or tournament don't remember which. A couple were even able to be driven home after being pulled out which is unusual. If memory serves there is a fine per day as well as the cost of the recovery. There are specific dates for shack removal also as well as fines if they go in the drink as well as if remaining after the cutoff date.
Ice up was late this year and thaw was early not the best season.

Status
Not open for further replies.