Chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelm911

Jan 27, 2013
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, I'm rejuvenating an old sloppy stove hookup. The burner is an Alaska Kodiak. It has a 6 inch outlet out the back. My chimney has a 7 x 6 3/4 square clay flue. The old setup had 6 inch pipe to a 6x8 reducer into the chimney. The hole in the chimney wall looks like it was done with a sledgehammer, filled with creosote, and just a disaster. Would it be better to stick a piece of 6 inch into the chimney wall and brick/cement it shut? This has to be better than butting a 6x8 reducer into the oblong disaster hole that is current. Any help will be appreciated!!

How about cleaning that disaster hole, and buying a piece of round 6 inch terracotta (a crock), cut it to the desired length if need be, and mortar in place. Then your stove pipe would go into that with a slip fit.

I wouldn't cement any black pipe into the the area that a crock/thimble should be.

With a few pics we might be able to give some other suggestions.

Also, whenever stove pipe is stuck into a crock/thimble, it should never extend into the flue itself.

pen

Sure, here are some pictures. The stove will be moved back a little, in the corner. Using two adjustable 90s and about a 5 foot piece of pipe to the chimney.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017396.965509.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017412.710094.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017441.179667.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017455.975705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures illustrate the issue of no crock. It looks like air leaking around the connector entry to the chimney has cooled down the flue gases enough to creosote up the hole. The chimney will need a full cleaning and close inspection first for any cracks or missing mortar between tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.