Chimney horizontal run ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hot house

Sep 29, 2022
Ontario Canada
Hi lm new here ....hoping someone can point me in the right direction....wanting to put my VC encore in my basement....its a walk out basement ...The main level cantilevers over the basement by 24 inches ...so if l go through the basement wall l can not go straight up the wall ...l was thinking of mounting the tee on the cantilevered part and supporting it with brackets from underside .....this would mean l would need a 36 inch piece of pipe to attach to tee and pass through the wall ( 10inches thick ) ...now on the inside l would need a 24 inch of double wall black pipe horizontally then elbow and 4 feet vertical to stove top. Wanting to use dura vent piping ....will have a 15 foot stack on it ....question is this lenght permitted ? Will l still get draft ?

20220824_072908.jpg

Hi lm new here ....hoping someone can point me in the right direction....wanting to put my VC encore in my basement....its a walk out basement ...The main level cantilevers over the basement by 24 inches ...so if l go through the basement wall l can not go straight up the wall ...l was thinking of mounting the tee on the cantilevered part and supporting it with brackets from underside .....this would mean l would need a 36 inch piece of pipe to attach to tee and pass through the wall ( 10inches thick ) ...now on the inside l would need a 24 inch of double wall black pipe horizontally then elbow and 4 feet vertical to stove top. Wanting to use dura vent piping ....will have a 15 foot stack on it ....question is this lenght permitted ? Will l still get draft ?

View attachment 299628
I seriously doubt it will draft properly

Sounds like a bad combo. Is there another possible location for the stove?

I seriously doubt it will draft properly
36 inch horizontal is the issue lm guessing...but l read on this forum that many people have 24 inches horizontal then the single wall pipe to stove .....l thought since lm going up from stove 4 feet with double wall before elbow then going horizontal it would help with the draft...no ?

What about exiting the wall ouyside going out a foot then put a 30 degree then a straight piece then another 30degree to clear the overhang ....l would not have a clean out though ....would that be ok ?

People may have 24" horizontal, but the suction of the chimney is then often larger to avoid smoke roll-out when opening the door. I have a 27' chimney after my horizontal run.

Not having a clean out is fine, but having the chimney run so far from the home seems 1. shaky, and 2. ugly?

36 inch horizontal is the issue lm guessing...but l read on this forum that many people have 24 inches horizontal then the single wall pipe to stove .....l thought since lm going up from stove 4 feet with double wall before elbow then going horizontal it would help with the draft...no ?
It's because you have 36 +24 plus 2 90s on a chimney that isn't that high to start with

What about exiting the wall ouyside going out a foot then put a 30 degree then a straight piece then another 30degree to clear the overhang ....l would not have a clean out though ....would that be ok ?
Many chimney pipe mfgs. do not permit an outdoor offset. Check first with the maker of the chimney pipe.

You would still need a tee with 2 30 degree elbows anyway

just to clarify, the total horizontal run would be 60"? 36" outside, 24" inside?
36 inches gets me inside by 3 inches then 18 inch black double wall pipe
People may have 24" horizontal, but the suction of the chimney is then often larger to avoid smoke roll-out when opening the door. I have a 27' chimney after my horizontal run.

Not having a clean out is fine, but having the chimney run so far from the home seems 1. shaky, and 2. ugly?
If you viewed my pic ...it would come out of the house just under the overhang of the second story and run up the wall and through the soffit.....so no shaky issues and looks wise its fine .....look at my pick

View attachment 299628

Screenshot_20221002-205255_Chrome.jpg

just to clarify, the total horizontal run would be 60"? 36" outside, 24" inside?

View attachment 299628

Screenshot_20221002-211509_Gallery.jpg

Add to that the restriction of the 2 90s and I seriously doubt it will work with the height you have.

Fair enough.

I would not go 54" horizontal on a chimney of that height.

I wouldn't go 54" horizontal at all. Over 24" is pushing it. 36" will be sluggish. Many stove mfgs. recommend not exceeding 36". I would look hard for other options.

So, I measured. I have 51" horizontal (center to center).
I have not had smoke roll out. But I have 27 ft above this (and 2 ft vertical from the stove top to the horizontal run).

Also, I use a minisplit when it's 40 F or higher for 24 hrs or longer. (So reloads do happen above 40, but the chimney will be warm then. Reloads above 45 F rarely if ever happen). This means that when draft decreased because of higher outside temps (the chance for smoke roll out) I don't use the stove.

Or maybe I won't have roll out before of my 27 ft (,+2 ft).

I bet I have over 4' and closer to 5' horizontal run on my NC30 at home with 20' of flue, but it's an easy breather. Drafts fine, but definitely looses a bunch as it cools down. Sometimes on an overnight burn the glass will be smoked in the morning if it loses temp before all combustion is complete.

I had close to 5’ of horizontal run last year (57” to be exact).

The issues I had were low draft on cold starts. I would have to preheat the flue with a heat gun for a few minutes.

And it also seemed to lose draft on windy days. The stove would back puff sometimes.

And finally I think it was building up too much creosote in the horizontal section.

This year the horizontal section is reduced to 30”. I can light a fire in the stove with the door open and have plenty of draft to start with.

The DuraVent chimney I’m using says a max of 2’ horizontal run if I remember correctly. My 30” is the combined triple wall run and the inside stove pipe run.

The rest of the chimney is 24’ tall.