Chimney icing up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some byproducts passing like NOx are not a good thing, but overall cats do a good job of cleaning up the smoke, as long as not compared to say pellet stoves.
Absolutly I am by no means saying they dont do a good job. They do I just took issue with the claim that "Water vapor is the only thing that is able to pass through the catalyst" It simply is not true

Absolutly I am by no means saying they dont do a good job. They do I just took issue with the claim that "Water vapor is the only thing that is able to pass through the catalyst" It simply is not true
It was a simple statement to help the OP understand why ice could buildup in the cap rather than creosote which is most common. Ice is not commonplace, its specific to this particular technology. I'm no scientist, I wasn't intending to break this down in science class. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckr74
It was a simple statement to help the OP understand why ice could buildup in the cap rather than creosote which is most common. Ice is not commonplace, its specific to this particular technology. I'm no scientist, I wasn't intending to break this down in science class. Just trying to help.
I am sorry for jumping on it but you know very well that more than water comes out the stack of a bk. I don't care to make it a science class either no need to go into a chemical analysis of the exhaust. But I am going to correct a statement that is that far off the truth.

My turn....

When at cat hits 550-600F, VOC's are converted to energy. This includes all the worst of them!

Unfortunately, methane is tough. At 1200F, you can get around 65% reduction. Any hotter and trouble for the cat.

As for icing, one only need look at stacks in and around Fairbanks in February. I've spent many an evening drive looking at stacks there. Soory guys but it happens on all sorts of stoves, regardless of technology. Two story homes, outside wall chimneys and wood cut 60 days earlier are all culprits.

So, what's on TV tonight?

Reactions: bholler
Yes, that's a 1996 study. No hybrids tested either.

Yes, that's a 1996 study. No hybrids tested either.
I think I know of a 2010 study by OMNI...It may be in my office. I'll check next week . Headed to NY right now.

That would be better though I'd like to see a current one that includes stoves like the Woodstock Progress Hybrid or the Lopi Cape Cod and the Ashford or Sirocco.

The stove companies probably won't spend the funds...these studies are costly.

The CHC paid a large sum for their study prior to the NSPS being promulgated. Each company paid into that study to lessen the dent in their wallets....including us.

When at cat hits 550-600F, VOC's are converted to energy. This includes all the worst of them!

Unfortunately, methane is tough. At 1200F, you can get around 65% reduction. Any hotter and trouble for the cat.
So is water the only thing that makes it through the cat?

dead horse2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.