Chimney ID assistance, please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RS267

Jun 28, 2008
West Lebanon, NH
The owner of this chimney would like to replace the wall support. The support may be one of those things that if it fits it'll be OK, but I'd prefer to offer a brand specific replacement if possible. No idea of it's age; it was there when the house was purchased 2 years ago. Time and weather have made the sticker on the tee unreadable. The photos are not the greatest but if any of you eagle eyes spot something that leads you to believe it's "Brand X", let me know. I've compared these photos to a bunch of manufacturers but nothing seems to match, although I've sort of ruled out Selkirk due to the lack of a handle on the clean out plug. I've asked the owner for a better picture of the rain cap but I don't know if an iPhone camera can zoom. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!

Chimney1.JPG Chimney2.JPGChimney4.JPG

Wow, it almost looks like the TEE is a different brand than the pipe!

One way to help sort it out is the pipe lengths. Another is the way they go together.

Example - some companies made odd sizes like 30" (hart and cooley). They also had press together sections with a locking band as opposed to screwing them together. So you can try some process of elimination that way.

I have never sold a pipe where the fit of the overlap is as large as that looks! What I mean is where one section meets the other - the upper piece looks so much larger in DIA. than the piece it fits around. That could be a hint for someone.

If it's any help, it does not look like Selkirk metalbestos, oliver mccloud (pro-jet) or Hart and Cooley......so maybe process of elimination will go onwards!

I have 2 different bands on mine (My Class A is Triple wall Simpson).. I have 2 Simpson (6" triple wall Class A) and1 Selkirk (8" double wall Class A).

They both have the same I.D. to go over the Flue. I used what works. The 2 - 6" Simpsons are on 12" brackets. The 1 - 8" Selkirk is lag bolted on the eve/overhang of the house.

2011-10-18_13-07-19_573.jpg 2011-10-18_13-07-58_315.jpg

I was thinking Excel myself, at least for the pipe lengths, because of the bulbous overlap. Nothing else matches, though. The tee is what's been bugging me. I can find no picture from any manufacturer that has that side seam on the tee snout. What I did find in one of the additional photos I requested was a marking on the triangular plate of the wall support with a manufacture date of 5/21/85, at least for the steel anyway, so that gives me some idea of the age. It's doubtful anything currently available is going to match from a looks standpoint. At any rate, I'm not going to spend much more time on this. I'll offer the owner what we have available as a wall support (it looks pretty similar) and recommend that a professional come have a look see to determine if it or another off brand will work. Thanks for looking!

Does Excel make a Tee base? I'm wondering if they just used another brand's in this installation? They could just put another wall bracket just above the tee and eliminate the base. That way there wouldn't be a crap collecting shelf. That leaf collection there makes me nervous.

if that is Excel, they have changed something. the female ends of their current product does not cut inward to create a stop, it just flares outward slightly and the male ends flare for the stop. whats really odd is that the pic Craig posted, which is used in Excel's ads, does not really match the actual product when it comes to that female end.

Status
Not open for further replies.