Chimney Inspection Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric859

Oct 4, 2010
New Jersey
Is it possible to inspect a chimney for cracks/damage once a liner is installed? If not, is it a big pain to remove the liner to do the inspection?

Thank you!

Here's the thing... I just had a company do a fp insert install along with a new stainless steel liner. They didn't insulate the liner, do an inspection of the chimney, or get a permit. From what I can determine, the liner does not need to be insulated unless there is damage to the chimney. If there is damage, it might create the possibility of drying out the wood framing of my house and/or possibly catching it on fire.

I've made calls and some proffessionals say insulation is required and some say it's not. I just want to make sure that I won't void my homeowners insurance if there's a fire. The best idea I have as of now is to get the chimney inspected (hopefully with the insert in place), get the permit, then have the town building inspector come out to take a look. Am I worrying too much about all of this?

Thanks!

Some always do say no need. I always say insulate the liner. Here is a link to a post I wrote on that very subject.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60132/

You are correct - the chimney should have been cleaned, inspected, and whatever local rules are in place need to be followed, like permits and building inspector visits.

I don't think you are worrying to much. You aren't likely to burn your house down, but you will be less likely when you follow all the steps. Give the post a read and fire away with any questions. We are here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.