Chimney inspection/sweep questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Hey All,

Just bought my house in Northwest NJ. The basic home inspection came back good on the chimney. In good condition, no cracks and clean (the seller had it cleaned and didnt use it the last 2 years she was there). Can I do a second inspection/back up clean myself? What should I be looking for?

If not, I need to be looking for a reliable chimney inspector/sweep. Anyone from around here know of anyone that's good and reliable or anyone know of a good site to start at when going out for pricing? How much does an inspection/sweep generally cost?

Anything would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin

By them saying no cracks I assume it's a masonry fireplace. Look up a copy of NFPA 211 all the masonry fireplace specs are in there you can be sure it's constructed properly etc. Might want to have a sweep out just to be sure, probably cost 100+ depending on whether they do a video scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.