chimney inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
I spoke to a local chimney sweep today about installing my new Oslo. I have 7x7 tile lined race surrounded by masonry. He says he needs to do an inspection with a video scope. A stove dealership was out and looked at the situation and was ready to install, but I chose another stove. Does this sound necessary? The race was used for a water heater previously.
Is he just looking for his next boat payment?

The race is surrounded by 2 foot of mortared stonework, what would the danger/ concern be?

I believe this is the way NFPA 211 requires chimney inspections, anyone let me know if I have this wrong. Level 1 inspection: Visibly inspect chimney in readily accessible areas without the use of tools. This is required when replacing a hearth product of the SAME fuel and of a similar BTU range. Level 2 inspection: Same as level 1 inspection but also must go into areas accessible by the use of tools. Required when an appliance is installed of a DIFFERENT fuel in the same chimney. A chimney camera would be considered a level 2 inspection. Level 3 inspection: Inspect every part of chimney even if damage must be done to drywall or other facing material to access all areas.
Hopefully this is why he wants to do a scan, not just to sell you something extra, but you never know.

PS NFPA requirements fall on the technician, he is the one with liability if he goofs up. Even if you feel comfortable with your chimney he will probably still want to check it out.

On another thread the smart guys on this site were doing flue calculations for someone regarding lining his chimney. I t was a bit beyond a liberal arts guy like me. So I wanted to run my numbers by you so I can make a decent argument if he suggests it....
I'm putting a Jotul Oslo into a 6" opening on an 19- 20 ft. interior masonry chimney with 7x7 i.d. square tiles. Someone on an earlier thread had said this woul be adequate for most stoves. Just want to be armed with info.
I looked up the chimney with a mirror and it looks structuraly fine.

What they were saying is that by code, if your chimney is interior, the cross-sectional area in square inches can't be more than 3 times more than the cross-sectional area of the collar of the appliance. 7x7=49" area of 6" flue collar =28.25". 28.25x3=85. Your chimney could be up to 85 square inches before you would have to install a liner by that standard. But keep in mind that if he looks and finds a problem with the flue tiles, he will want to install a liner anyway.

Thanks for your info. I was hoping to do a simple install myself, my insurance company was fine with that, but wanted the fire department to look at the final install. Unfortunately the fire department is all volunteer and unwilling (understandably) to do this which leads me to the professional install. Want it to be safe and will probably go with his advice just hate to have to spend extra $$ on liner if it doesn't improve draft or safety.

I'd have the chimney inspected by a certified sweep. If the tiles are in excellent condition, I think you would be ok not lining the flue as long as the chimney is properly built and in good condition. Lining it might give an extra margin of safety, but that doesn't mean it would be unsafe to direct connect if all else passes muster.

absolutely. Its hard to trust that someone is telling you the truth when it means an extra 1500$. Maybe the chimney is in proper order and you won't have to go all out. Nothing wrong with checking out what he tells you before you do anything tho.

Looking up the chimney it looks practically new- slight glossiness but no build up.
It sounds like from what you said he observing best practice in this situation, I'll consider that a good thing. If he suggests a liner I'll get someone else to look at it before jumping.

Just a quick update- spoke to chimney sweep today (first time it wasn.t phone tag), and it was as you have said he is meeting requirements as he sees them. He's been here before and thinks it will be a simple install. The cleaning and video will be under 200.00 and will install stove for parts only. After building a workshop this spring I had developed the 1000.00 rule- anytime anyone drove on the property to do anything it would be at least a thousand dollars- maybe it's time to be a little less cynical. :)

potter said:
Just a quick update- spoke to chimney sweep today (first time it wasn.t phone tag), and it was as you have said he is meeting requirements as he sees them. He's been here before and thinks it will be a simple install. The cleaning and video will be under 200.00 and will install stove for parts only. After building a workshop this spring I had developed the 1000.00 rule- anytime anyone drove on the property to do anything it would be at least a thousand dollars- maybe it's time to be a little less cynical. :)

You have found a good one. Give him your chimney sweeping business.

Status
Not open for further replies.