Chimney Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loki791

Dec 27, 2008
NJ
I have a masonry chimney and a fireplace and was wondering if a chimney inspection is required by law. And, if it is a requirement, is it a federal one or state by state? My chimney has not been professionally inspected since purchasing the home, but it has been cleaned professionally. According to Accurate Inspections, a Level II chimney inspection is required by The National Fire Protection Association (National Fire Protection Association 211, 2000 Edition, 11-5.1.3 ), prior to expiration of an inspection contingency. What exactly does that mean and what exactly would they be inspecting? Would it include an inspection of the fireplace and fireplace heater or attachments (natural radiation and convection heat exchangers)? My fireplace heater 60,000 BTU output with an air temperature output of 500 degrees Fahrenheit. According to the same site mentioned above, gravity-fed and fan-assisted heat distribution systems are part of an inspection, but does that mean that it's required by law to have these additional parts inspected too?

Status
Not open for further replies.