Chimney Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
This is my first year burning wood for supplemental heat.

I have a brand new Kozy Heat 231ZC and have burned just under a cord of fairly seasoned red oak.

I say fairly because every once in a while I get a log that has a little sizzle.

The owners manual states that I should be inspecting the chimney monthly to check on creosote build up.

I planned on having a professional inspect and clean after the burning season.

Do you inspect every month? Should I?

Frankly, I wouldn't know what to really look for.

Thanks.

My first year I ran a brush up my chimney each month until I had an idea on how much creosote I would produce. In my old house I made most of the creosote on my singlewall so I pulled the pipe and ran the brush through it fairly often. It only took a few minutes and gave me a great peace of mind.

Matt

I inspect and clean out my chimney monthly . . . even though truthfully after having done so for an entire year last year I came to the conclusion that really only sweeping twice a year would be fine. So why do I inspect and clean monthly? A) For me it's a wicked easy task as I do it from the ground up, B) I believe in practicing what I preach -- I advise checking it monthly so I suppose I should do so as well, C) It would be really, really embarassing if I had a chimney fire and had to call 911, D) While I am burning good wood and burning hot enough I figure it is always better to check more frequently and find out that everything is A-OK, rather than thinking things are probably OK and discovering that my wife has attempted to burn a soggy, punky piece of wood when I wasn't home and has now clogged the chimney (not that she has . . . but she has eye-balled some of the punky pieces last Fall until I threw them into the wood and declared that wood unfit to burn.)

What I suggest is sweeping the chimney if there is a quarter inch or one eighth inch build up of creosote . . . if there is a little more, no worries . . . you may need to use a mirror and/or flashlight to see up through the chimney. Also, if you see light, wispy "spiderwebs", "coffee grounds" or "potato chips" adhering to the wall . . . that's much better than if you see a nice, shiny black surface.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll have to play around to figure what all comes off so I can inspect it.

It will be interesting to find out what it looks like and if I can see that far up.

My chimney is two stories high.

I can't imagine at this point that I personally would clean it, I'll get a pro.

Thanks again.

For the first year for a new burner I would check it monthly. Having been used to my stove, I just know to check it once a year now and clean it every 2 or 3. I burn green wood most of the time. You should be able to remove the baffles and look up the chimney to see how clean it is. If you get more than 1/4 of an inch, thats when I would clean it. Also remember, if your chimney cap has a screen on it, with a long run like that, you can have a very clean looking pipe but a clogged screen up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.