Chimney Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubota

Nov 6, 2010
Southeastern Oklahoma
Hello all!

First, I would like to say that so far I have been very impressed by the helpfulness of the members on here, outstanding.

Now to my discussion topic....

After 10 years of living in my house and using my "Travis Industries" 36 Elite annually during the winter months , I finally decided today that I needed to inspect my chimney for creosote buildup. Unfortunately, there appears to be a thin layer of buildup. More unfortunate is that I was unable to upload the photo detailing the amount of buildup, but alas.... I am relatively unfamiliar with the dangers of creosote fueled chimney fires, especially those in my particular style of chimney; how bad can they be? My particular chimney is of the double pipe variety. There is the primary, inner exhaust pipe with the creosote buildup, which is around 8" in diameter. This is enclosed in a 14" casing pipe of the same material and thickness. This is all inside an exterior stone clad, wood-framed chimney that is approximately 24' feet tall. Below I have attached a photo of the house: chimney is on the left side of the photograph. Now, lets just say the creosote that is lining the inner 8" diameter exhaust pipe were to catch fire. Generally speaking, would a Creosote fueled chimney fire be of sufficient temperatures to melt the inner chimney pipe? That is assuming that it is a fairly standard type of chimney pipe. Or would the fire just burn quickly and be over and done with? Now, I know the answers to these questions are highly dependent on a number of variables, but lets just speak generally.

IMG_0273-1.jpg

Interior
IMG_0370.jpg

Call a sweep, chimney fires are VERY dangerous. If you have not cleaned it in 10 years, please, please, please, call a chimney sweep.

Nice place you have. I would sstrongly recomend getting your chimney cleaned and inspected.

Is the layer of "buildup" dusty black stuff or a glossy hard coating?

I will resist the temptation, being a native Texan, to give an Okie grief about waiting ten years to check his chimney. :smirk:

There's no way we can safely tell you the state of you flue system without top and bottom pictures of the flue system. Where did you check for buildup?

This is a lovely home, but it is at risk due to deferred maintenance. You're way overdue for a professional checkup on this flue. Have a certified sweep come out, clean the flue and tell you how she's burning. That will be a lot safer than depending on us to remotely diagnose the flue. It'll be one of the better $150 expenditures you have made, even if the sweep says the build up is not serious.

If the flue is a UL 103 HT rated flue, then it is tested for three 10-minute simulated chimney fires at 2,100F. Creosote can burn in excess of 2,000F. However, the UL 103 HT pipe is only rated for a continuous flue gas temp of 1,000F at the high end.

So, yes, a chimney fire could destroy the integrity of the pipe and possibly spread to a structure fire if it burned longer than the pipe is designed for. Please have the system swept and inspected. We want safe burners out there!

Nice place . . . it would be a shame to lose it due to a chimney fire.

Time for a professional chimney sweep to take a look . . . or post some pics of the chimney's inside so we can give you a better educated opinion.

To be sure, there are many chimney fires every winter and sometimes folks are not even aware it happened. But, it costs so little to inspect these things there is no sense in putting it off. It would really be a shame to lose a beautiful home like that.

Thank you all for the advice and compliments on our home. It appears that the consensus is to definitely have it checked, so I acted on that. I had a local chimney sweep come out today and we were strongly advised to allow him to clean it before I lit it again. Well worth it.

P.S. You all possibly saved me a lot of money and more importantly my family's safety, I appreciate the advice.

That is good news, sir! Glad that you acted and put safety ahead of everything else.

If your handy you can do it yourself. Your roof pitch doesn't look so bad. If you fall it looks like the porch roof will slow you down before you take that final 8 footer to the turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.