Chimney Install - So what exactly is a “Professional Installer?”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigil Igne

Apr 26, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
On the Duravent website the warranty for both “DuraPlus” and DuraTech” states, “DuraVent products are fully warranted if installed only by a professional installer.” I would like to do this myself! Then again, maybe not if it voids the warranty. It just gets me thinking and having to ask what exactly do you think their interpretation is of a “professional installer?” Is there some kind of certification that a professional has to have?

Last edited:
Reactions: English BoB
My guess is either a certified sweep (csia, ncsg) or fireplace installer (nfi), but they probably also include dealer installs. Give DuraTech a call and ask.

My guess is that if you can properly install it yourself, you would still be money ahead if something needed to be replaced. Unless it's the whole system. But to replace a pipe section or tee or elbow would cost a couple hundred bucks, less than a pro install I'm sure.

I think the failure rate on chimney components is pretty low. I hope, anyway.

I made a call about the warranty and was told a "contractor" would count as a professional. I guess I don't get a warranty from them if I do it myself. Funny, I've built a whole 1,600 square foot place (other than plumbing and footings) and I don't count as someone under their rules they have set up. I've placed thousands of hours building the rest of the place and I'm certainly not going to do a "shabby" job on the install just to watch all my work burn down. I agree with "jeff_t" in that I'll go ahead probably and not get the warranty. Most warranty problems happen right away usually anyways so I'll probably catch any bad product before using. If they give me a product in the long run that out-right fails and causes a fire, it's not a warranty claim they would be hit with anyways. I'm sure my insurance company would go after them for building a defective product.

I also asked why they would sell items to "homeowners" when the warranty is useless if they (most likely) will install on their own. The answer basically was a non-answer .... politician like.

Reactions: davidmsem
I also asked why they would sell items to "homeowners" when the warranty is useless if they (most likely) will install on their own.
Basically because they are perfectly happy to sell pipe that they will not ever need to worry about a warrantee claim on. Just check with your insurance and make sure they dont want a pro install to that could cause problems if they wanted it.

Reactions: Blackjack Dan
Just hire a pro, then your covered! Even though you'll likely never need it. But at least if your house burnt down you could bring law suits on the installer & Duravent.

Just check with your insurance and make sure they dont want a pro install to that could cause problems if they wanted it.

Done ! As long as I'm within clearances and use UL listed product I'm good. Insurance guy said they might send someone out to check. He realizes I've done enough building to do it right.

Just hire a pro, then your covered! Even though you'll likely never need it. But at least if your house burnt down you could bring law suits on the installer & Duravent.

I've seen the work contractors have done in the remote area that I'm at and I trust myself more than I would them. My goal is first to prevent a fire. And no, not all contractors are bad. It just seemed the ones that cut corners all are near my place.

Done ! As long as I'm within clearances and use UL listed product I'm good. Insurance guy said they might send someone out to check. He realizes I've done enough building to do it right.
Good they really are not complicated or hard for most installs i am sure you will be fine if you have built the rest of the house just make sure to follow all of the instructions.

Reactions: 7acres
Good they really are not complicated or hard for most installs i am sure you will be fine if you have built the rest of the house just make sure to follow all of the instructions.

Yep! And if any questions come up I know where to get answers! Thanks.

I actually found my chimney install very easy. Like the OP I have been building my own home, at 2500 sq ft, and am now nearing completion. By installing my chimney before I closed in the attic area I was able to work with plenty of elbow room and get all of the clearances perfect and the roof penetration water tight. I used the Selkirk chimney kit that had all of the needed parts except enough lengths of chimney to get the 2'x10' and the 3' criteria met. The kit came with everything to mount the chimney support and the necessary shield for insulation. By installing on a new home before the ceiling or the insulation were installed I got to control the whole thing. I was even able to instal the chimney inside the attic from a ladder on the first floor before I proceeded to the roof to finish things up. I finished my chimney install, then placed all of the ceiling drywall and then called out the guys to lay in my R-60 blown in insulation. At present I am continuing the drywall install on the walls and am working toward a nice trim OAK install for over 10 ft of run. The OAK from the stove supplier was only about 4 feet long but dryer vent fits it just fine and is tougher than the stuff in the OAK. I am insulating the extra run with some left over Roxul from my outer walls install so it cost me nothing extra to do it. If some SOB from the insurance company shows up and does not like my workmanship I will just switch companies. No professional install is ever going to be as good as the one you do yourself when you care about not burning down your house.

No professional install is ever going to be as good as the one you do yourself when you care about not burning down your house.
Not true at all i care just as much about my customers burning theiir houses down as i do my own and i am tired of pros being bad mouthed on this site. Yes there are some hacks out there but i have seen more badly done diy jobs than bad ones from pros. Sorry to snap at you a bit but it gets old.

And no, not all contractors are bad. It just seemed the ones that cut corners all are near my place.
That i can respect thanks

Reactions: Vigil Igne
It ain't personal Ben. It ain't personal. Rest.

"Professional" = someone with insurance.
Certification would be nice.

Maybe it's the way I was raised or how I learned from the old man but I want to be sure something that important is done to my satisfaction. After all these years in and around the trade I know a hack when I see one. If I have a question or something I don't completely understand I ask a pro in that field that I trust.

Reactions: bholler
It's all about the liability. I did a stove install at our old home after having 3 "estimates" from "professionals" - found these guys off of the sites that BG referenced. The first guy showed up, didn't say much, didn't take any measurements, listened as I showed the him the stove location, etc. and never called back. Up to that point he had only installed inserts and I guess didn't want to branch out. Second guy showed up, looked, took no measurements, and said I looked like a handy guy - he'd sell me the stove and chimney pipe and told me to install it. Third guy came, acutally took several measurements and then when I told him I'd need to create an offset (couldn't go straight up) to clear a roof joist said he could just cut it out and frame around it with some 2x4's. I'm no "professional", but know enough to understand that's not up to code. Decided not to let him touch the house and did the install myself (with much help and coaching from folks here). I took pics of every step to document for insurance purposes that the install was (1) up to code and (2) up to 211 standards. I'm now looking to put a stove in our new home. Insurance wants it done professionally. I told them my dilemma and experience from last time. They still want it done "professionally" for liability reasons. Not sure how I'll handle it this go round. The couple of stove shops I talked with informally sound like they have a 2x markup on pipe. One discouraged me from installing a Jotul myself due to the complex and "new" hearth requirements. Manual says ember protection only? I guess there are really good, professional installers and shops out there, I've just yet to find one.

I sympathize with the O/P. Being a cheap as well as Stubborn Dutchman, I cringe whenever I'm forced to pay for something I'm capable of doing myself. Living alone in my new northwoods cabin I was hesitant to cut thru the nice knotty pine wall boards inside or the half log siding outside. With my luck I was sure I'd hit a wall stud right off. Plus old age makes ladder work something to be avoided.

Being a small town, I thought I'd give the local wood stove guy a shot. I was surprised at how reasonable his estimate was! Labor was very reasonable and the parts costs barely exceeded what I could have gotten them for. They showed up when promised and the work was meticulously done. When I called my insurance agent and told them Jerry did the install they said go ahead and start using the stove. They would be out the following week to take the pictures they needed for their file. I guess I got lucky on this one.

Reactions: Haven
"Professional" = someone with insurance.
Certification would be nice.

I suspect this is very much true . . . insurance companies gotta have someone to sue if the house burns down and they want to help lessen the financial loss . . . and this is more than just a personal belief or gripe . . . guy I used to work with worked as a fire investigator with an insurance company and said that the insurance company would find the fire cause and then go after whomever they could to help with the claim.

If you get paid for doing something, you are a professional. Professional does not necessarily mean competent.

Reactions: zig
I paid a pro to install the venting in an existing chase. There were two vents in there already. He crawled around inside the chase and didn't have to take any siding/sheathing off. Plus, the chase terminates 6' above the roof. No way I could've done that. Money well spent. He does masonry work too. I can recommend him heartily. I'm nowhere near you though.

I wonder how easy it is to collect on the warranty. :)

I wonder how easy it is to collect on the warranty.
That's the first thing that came to my mind. How many things can go wrong with a chunk of steel? If it gets rusty, they will blame it on your lack of operating skills or anything else.
When I was installing my SS chimney, I placed my level on the chimney pipe on the roof to make sure I was 100% vertical. I absentmindedly left it there, attached by the magnetic strip on the level. A minute later I had one of those WTF moments. Stainless steel is NOT magnetic so either the level was stuck but some antigravity miracle or the SS was very poor quality. Hmmm. What's your guess? It was ICC Excel - supposed to be a premium make. lol. I can count on it being rusty well before the warranty is up. Will I get reimbursed? Probably 5% off on the overpriced replacement.

Someone who is incorporated, has training, insurance and does this for a living.

Depends on the stainless steel.
Exactly. Cheap stainless is magnetic, anything decent is not. The difference is the amount of nickle in it's composition. So they use cheap stainless which will rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.