Chimney Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNY Joe

Jun 11, 2008
Central NY
Thought I would post this one to get some insight.

I'm looking to install an all-fuel stainelss steel chimney for the Tarm boiler, to be installed in the basement. The chimney/flue will go through the foundation block wall and up the side of the house. The problem is there's about a 7" eave at the roofline. Cutting the eave/roof is not an option.

I'd prefer running the flue straight up and have it offset where the tee connector is to clear the eave, rather than using an offset near the cap.

Can this be done or am I stuck with using an offset near the cap?

Thanks.

I think it would be fine to extend near the tee. It just means bigger brackets holding the stack away from the house.

Agreed. Larger brackets are going to be needed. Finding a base to support the tee has been the challenge. I found several manufacturers that provide adjustable base supports, but they don't extend far enough. So, we're going to fabricate the brackets and tee support.

The Tarm, bilco door and chimney get installed next week. I'll post a few pics as we make progress.

Can the base to support the tee be ground based?

Sink a sono tube below your vertical stack and use that for support.
Will

Had a similar situation with my old wood furnace. Ended up building a small pit with a cap the chimney passed through that extended the tee out so it would clear the eve and there was no offset just 90 d straight up. Cleaning has to be done from the top of the chimney so you will have to remove the cap for every cleaning avoid snow covered roofs. Do not forgo the cap as creosote and water will destroy your chimney. Getting the bottom cap on was a bear. The extended brackets will support the vertical positioning but I had to make brackets and supports that would allow roof peak clearance. Duravent was the type of chimney that I used and they made a tee base support for the chimney. Their current models offer the same things. I went to a gasifier in my garage and used some of the chimney. The one on the house was 28' and the base held up well for 18 years before I removed it...Cave2k

Don't you guys think a 15 degree offset (two elbows) would be a lot less work and provide sufficient draft? 15 degrees with a 36" section of pipe will provide just over 10" of offset. Sure seems like this would be a lot easier than working it off the bottom. Has anyone gone this route???

Status
Not open for further replies.