Chimney installation with snow on the roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While you are up there, if the roof is steep do yourself a favor. Toss a long line down to the other side of the house and tie it to the bumper of your car or a tree. Leave it where you can grab it if you suddenly begin to depart the area rather suddenly. Its a great confidence builder. Also watch out for that clear Hoarfrost this time of year. I got up on my roof a few years back and had to get help to get down, too slippery. I felt sort of dumb sitting up there waiting for wifey...............

DriftWood said:
Jay H said:
I don't know about others but I had my wood stove professionally installed and I watched them do it. For my chimney flue, they simply started from the ground up. Makes sense to make sure you have any interior ceilings cut straight. I too have a metalbestos chimney and they simply positioned the stove where it would go and then cut a pilot hole in the top and then around. (doesn't have to be perfectly above since the facia piece will cover a square sized area. Then after the chimney was run through the interior ceiling into my crawlspace, that's when the guys cut the hole in the ashpalt shingled roof.

You can also use what's known as Yaktrax/stabilizers which is made for hiking in thin ice.

Jay

Its not that easy the first time DTYS. cutting a 2/10 Or 2/12 ceiling or roof rafter to line up isn't easy. Go into your attic after driving a nail in to you ceiling over the spot you want your vent pipe. It may be easer to move the hearth position to line up with a easy ceiling and roof penetration than sistering the cut rafters.

The installers didn't use anything other than a reciprocating saw and some eyeball measurements, no plumb bob no nail. There is flashing around the ceiling and around the roof cut that is siliconed in as a sealant. They did use the flue and using a pencil, outlined it going through the ceiling but they installed this metal piece that extends beyond the flue and of course, framed it around the ceiling rafters as per fire code.

There wan't much fudging I could do with the stove position, because it has to be offset from the nearest wall (it's in a corner) and if I was to move it too far out from the corner, the flue would of had to been angled to clear a bay window roof segment of my living room. Wouldn't want to have to cut through that...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.