Chimney Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
This weekend the bf is planning on installing the chimney for our fisher honey bear wood stove. But I have questions:

1. Since we are using single wall stove pipe, do I need some type of ceiling protection? We bought the stove with all of the piping and the previous owner had just the round black piece that went into the ceiling, is that correct?

2. Crimp side down with the single wall pipe correct?

3. When we cut a hole in the roof, we must cut it big enough for the stainless pipe to go into and have 2 " clearance all around?

4. We have a couple of 3' stainless lenghts and one 2 foot...which is supposed to be installed closer to the roof?

I think tomorrow I will post pictures of all the pieces we have, just to be on the safe side. I have read so much already on this forum...it is the best!

Thanks all :)

1. You need a ceiling penetration box and an adapter to go from the single wall to the class A.
You'll need a roof support. You may have gotten both of these with the pipe ? If your chimney extends 5' above the roof penetration you'll need a brace.
2. Yup. Crimp side down.
3. Yup. It will be an oval. (You could cut it rectangular too).
4. Doesn't matter. Whatever works out better for connecting/bracing.

Awesome, thanks :D Also, what type of screws do we need to screw the single wall pipes together?

Status
Not open for further replies.