Chimney Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrd0q

Feb 18, 2009
Maine
I have a 25 ft tall class A chimney that is venting my new Jotul Oslo. The chimney goes through the roof of my log home (cathedral ceiling; no attic). Is there a way to insulate the area where the chimney goes through the roof? The chimney is Metalbestos from Selkirk.

I also have a new gas stove in the basement - Jotul Sebego. That is Direct Vented to the outside. Currently there is a metal contraption through which the pipe goes to the outside, but that too is not insulated. You can actually see out through the cracks between the pipe and the metal. So again, is it possible to insulate that also?

The stove dealer told me you can put high temperature silicone around the pipe to insulate it, but I am not sure if that is right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am building a new log home, and my builder is not necessarily an expert on these issues.

Thanks!

selkirk has an insulation wrap that can be installed around their chimney in ceiling supports/wall thimbles to combat cold air infiltration. probably can be ordered from the same place you bought your chimney. how do you like your stove? i'm looking at a jotul -- albeit gas stove -- to replace my old vc intrepid wood this summer.

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=6716

He does not have an attic, thus no attic insulation shield. Sorry there is no way to insulate around your pipe that I know of. You need to have 2" air space clearance around the pipe at all places except the firestops and roof flashing. On the wood vent there is only one type of venting I know that is approves for silicone around the firestops (HHT SL300) so unfortunately there is not much you can do there.

On direct vent you can seal around the pipe with silicone caulking.

TPC101 - I have a wood stove (the Oslo) and a gas stove (Sebago). I like them both. You can't go wrong with Jotul in my opinion. I called the chimney company (Selkirk) and they do not recommend using the Universal Shielding Insulation without the Cathedral Ceilng Support - basically a big black box.

jtp10181 - thanks for the info. That's what I figured - I won't be able to insulate around the wood stove chimney. My biulder removed all insulation from within 2in of the chimney, and then added a metal shield to mask the hole in the ceiling. Looking up at the ceiling you now see this shield which does touch the chimney, but covers the hole through which the chimney goes. I hope that is ok. I think it came with the chimney.

Yeah a metal "firestop" type of shield is required at each floor / ceiling penetration. As long as its the UL listed component, being used what its made for, its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.