Chimney insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theward

Nov 4, 2007
utah
I'm building a remote cabin in the mountains and prefer a wood/coal masonry fireplace rather than a metal chimney (for aesthetics). I am interested in a high efficient system if there is such a thing. The winter temperatures can get below zero and we will we will be using the cabin mainly on weekends. It would seem the chimney would act as a cold sink and take away the energy from within the cabin while we were away. Is there a method to insulate the block and rock face from below the roof-line? Is there also a product that would stop the cold air entering the top of the chimney after we leave and the chimney cools down? I had planned on utilizing a glass front, fireplace damper and outside combustion air. Thanks

Are you putting in a wood stove or some sort of heat form unit? A traditional masonry fireplace, no matter how many bells and whistles you add to it is not going to be a very good heater.

That being said, there are "Lock Top" damper which shut the chimney off at the top and can be opened from inside.

if its purly for show you could keep the brick chimney in the cabin, only letting the class a penitrate the roof, then clad a faux chmney on the roof to make it look right. having the brick as a heat sink will help keep temps in the cabin more consistant. is it a vaulted celing?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest using the search function to look for and read up on some of the threads about "Masonry Heaters" This is a technique that uses a hot fast "fireplace" style fire to warm a massive masonry structure that functions as a radiant heater. They claim extremely high efficiency and IMHO they look fantastic.

Gooserider

jtp10181 said:
Are you putting in a wood stove or some sort of heat form unit? A traditional masonry fireplace, no matter how many bells and whistles you add to it is not going to be a very good heater.

That being said, there are "Lock Top" damper which shut the chimney off at the top and can be opened from inside.

We will have either radiant heating or a propane furnace as the primary source. I realize that the fireplace is not the most efficent, but we have free firewood and enjoy the atmosphere. Thanks for the tip on the "Lock Top", I'll check it out.

JohnnyBravo said:
if its purly for show you could keep the brick chimney in the cabin, only letting the class a penitrate the roof, then clad a faux chmney on the roof to make it look right. having the brick as a heat sink will help keep temps in the cabin more consistant. is it a vaulted celing?

We're hoping the fireplace is a focus point, however, function is also important. The ceiling will be vaulted and as you mentioned the hope is to use the heat sink and not have it drain the heat when not in use. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gooserider said:
If you haven't already, I'd suggest using the search function to look for and read up on some of the threads about "Masonry Heaters" This is a technique that uses a hot fast "fireplace" style fire to warm a massive masonry structure that functions as a radiant heater. They claim extremely high efficiency and IMHO they look fantastic.

Gooserider

I'll check it out. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.