Chimney issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
A relative has a wood burning fireplace insert. This year when having their chimney cleaned, they found cracks in the flue tile, creosote, and missing mortar. They quoted $6000 to repair. Neither of us have experience with the company. I recommended they get a second opinion, and the second opinion person came over and said the chimney is fine (but they didn't use a camera). I'm inclined to trust the person with the camera over the second! But I'm also wondering if there's a cheaper or better way, for example using a stainless steel liner. Any advice?

Here are the pics they provided:

IMG_1333.JPG
Missing mortar and third stage creosote.JPG
Cracks in flue tiles.JPG

Well yes it clearly needs a liner but i would not hire that company. From their comments on the pics they clearly have allot to learn about chimneys.

Good lord...
That’s clearly a masonry chimney that’s had wood siding added to it. The comments crack me up! Third stage creosote on the surface of the crown? More like third stage moss!

Reactions: bholler
I would also verify that those pictures from inside the chimney are actually from inside YOUR chimney.

See if you can inspect it yourself using mirrors, flashlights, smart phone cameras. Get creative.

Trust what they are telling you but you also need to verify what they are telling you.