chimney issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Dad and I were cleaning out his chimney tonight. He had creasote about 1 1/2' thick near the base of the chimney. He has an Ashland woodstove made here in ashland by the local amish. It's a base burner with the secondary burn chamber on the side at the bottom of the stove. He hasn't even burned a month straight. Some wood is a little wet yet but most is seasoned. When I opened the cleanout on the chimney, i noticed that the top of the cleanout went all up the basement bloack wall. And Even better than that, there was mortar balled in 2"to 3" inch chunks creating a creasote collecting haven. Now back to the cleanout, there is 1/2 inch gaps open to the rest of the chimney and block wall in the basement. I am thinking that not only is it a saftey hazard, but its causing cold air to leak into the chimney at the base and by the time it hits the flue gasses it condenses right there causing major buildup. We carefully removed the goop of mortar to allow the flow of gasses, and I recommended him to purchase a stove thermometer and monitor the stove and chimney. Its a concrete block chimney and my question is was I right about the leaks at the cleanout inside the block wall and chimney? Any output is appreciated.

Sounds possible. Good sleuthing. Wow, 1 1/2" creosote is thick. Is this an exterior chimney? Is this the first year it's been used? I'd seal up the gaps well around the cleanout and check again in a couple weeks.

It goes through from the basement of course which is heated to the garage which is attached to the house. The garage isn't heated, but is insulated and tight.

Yep. You nailed it on the cold air coming in and mixing with and cooling the flue gases. Same thing happened to me last year. After twenty years my old stove started glazing the heck out of the chimney. I finally located a crack in the back of the firebox under the shroud that was letting cool air mix with the flue gases just before they went up the stack. Instant glazed creosote.

Plug up all of those leaks with refractory cement.

the actual clean out door also leaks, I since there should be no heat there I used common caulk and sealed it shut

Status
Not open for further replies.