Chimney kit for cathedral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Who makes a good kit for a cathedral ceiling?

I just finished installing the cathedral ceiling kit from Selkirk, model line Supervent. Lowes carries the double wall pipe sections and some of the support kits, but not the cathedral kit as stock. At Lowes I special ordered the cathedral kit (and the flashing/storm collar) and it took about two weeks to come in. The kit contains the support box, support collar, stove pipe adapter, and rain cap. It took me one full day for the chimney install, but I was working at my cabin (which has no electricity) so I was using only hand tools (also I worked alone). With electricity/power tools and a helper it maybe is a half-day job.

Anyway, I thought the final result was just fine. Of course I haven't burned it yet (90 degF today) but I think it should work nicely.

We use Simpson support boxes and they work fine, in fact all I have seen look the same. Basically you just need to get the one that matches the brand of chimney pipe you are going to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.