chimney length question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken45

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
southern Ohio
We are having a new chimney installed for a new PE Summit. I know that code requires the chimney to be "two feet above anything within ten feet".

Our installer only has the chimney a foot and a half above the roof ridgeline which is six feet away, and it is even with the top of a masonary chimney about eight feet away.

Should I insist that he had another foot to the chimney, or is the six inches not worth quibbling about? The ridgeline is the the NNW of the chimney.

Also, the chimney just meets the stove's spec of a minimum a 15' from the floor of the stove. The sweep tells me that's plenty of height, but I wonder if it would be worth it to have it a bit higher than the absolute minimum.

Thanks,

Ken

I'm no expert, but I'd tell him I want another 12" section put in. Can't hurt, it can only help. Rick

I would go with another 2' section. It should not cost much more if any between a 1 or 2 ft section.
Don

What the heck, ken, I'm with N6CRV...but I say just get another 6' and a couple of braces and be done with it! :lol: Rick

That's 14' to you ken, what're ya gonna do? How many cards you want? :lol: Rick

14' !!!!! Wait a minute guys, are you providing a cherry picker to clean this thing? ;-)

Ken

I spoke to the chimney man last night. He says that when the cap is added (he was waiting on it to come in), that would add six inches and bring the total height up to his understanding of the code. I guess that might meet the legal definition.

However, he agreed to add another 2' section so I assume we will be in good shape!

Thanks for the responses.

Ken

All's well that ends well. Sounds real good. OK...who's deal is it? :lol: Rick

Great that you are getting the extension. PE's printed requirement about the chimney being 15' from the "base of the appliance" is a little confusing and most people figure that to be from the floor.

BrotherBart said:
Great that you are getting the extension. PE's printed requirement about the chimney being 15' from the "base of the appliance" is a little confusing and most people figure that to be from the floor.

I took it to mean from the bottom of the firebox and (without the additional 2') what we have now comes to exactly 15'. The additional 2' will give us 17' and I still think it will be low enough to be cleaned easily.

Ken

Sounds like you're golden Ken. Good stove, good flue. Just add good wood and you're going to be nice and cozy this winter.

BeGreen said:
Just add good wood and you're going to be nice and cozy this winter.

Well we have about 5 cord of wood (mostly hickory, oak, maple, walnut) that was cut last fall and split and stacked in spring, so we are looking forward to a snuggly winter even if the predictions of a hard winter come true. :)

Ken

Ken45 said:
...Well we have about 5 cord of wood (mostly hickory, oak, maple, walnut) that was cut last fall and split and stacked in spring...

Yer actually gonna burn that junk? What, can't find any pine around there? %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.