Chimney Line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmaster

Nov 19, 2007
Columbia, Maryland
Hello All -
I recently purchased a dutchwest catalytic stove, and will be installing it in the coming weeks. I couldn't find any answers regarding lining my chimney with black stove pipe - is this a bad idea? It's a 25 foot masonry chimney with 12X12 terra cotta liner. I can do the job for about 250 with the rigid black stove pipe, but stepping up to stainless more than doubles that cost. What is the feeling?

bad idea from what i've lerned hear. black pipe should never be concealed, it requires inspection quite often. what sort of condition is the flu in? is the price for stainless rigid or flex?

The flu is in great condition. I've not actually gotten quotes from anywhere locally - I was just referring to what I have seen on the interweb. Any suggestions on where to get stainless pipe cheaply?

JohnnyBravo said:
bad idea from what i've lerned hear. black pipe should never be concealed, it requires inspection quite often. what sort of condition is the flu in? is the price for stainless rigid or flex?

Not sure if this will help you. I wanted to go the cheap way and got some 6" stainless pipe in 3' pieces off of Ebay. What I found they were not a full 6" but closer to 5 7/8" Could not fit standard 6" flue pipe into them. I ended up going with a new class A chimney. The new chimney pieces were like 57.00 for 4ft. So just be careful on the lower cost stuff.
Don

Black stove pipe corrodes and that cheap investment ends up as a pile of rusted crap in two or three years. Not to mention it being against building and insurance codes.

Buy a stainless liner for $400 online. Your life is worth it.

BrotherBart said:
Black stove pipe corrodes and that cheap investment ends up as a pile of rusted crap in two or three years. Not to mention it being against building and insurance codes.

Buy a stainless liner for $400 online. Your life is worth it.

Attachments

• Before1.jpg
    Before1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 326
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 350
Nice clean up and paint job. I'm glad to see you tented the bike first.

Nice job on the refinish of that stove Toolmaster--it looks brand new! Also, good job sizing the pics as they enlarge nicely.

So...I should be able to go with a flex liner without insulation, as my flue tiles are quite intact? Should I get the chimney cleaned prior to installing the flex liner? It's not sparkling, but there isn't excessive buildup either.

Clean it and insulate it if its exterior chimney. Just my .02

toolmaster said:
So...I should be able to go with a flex liner without insulation, as my flue tiles are quite intact? Should I get the chimney cleaned prior to installing the flex liner? It's not sparkling, but there isn't excessive buildup either.

I run two stoves into un-insulated chimney liners just South of you in Virginia and they draft great. As to cleaning the chimney, clean it or get it cleaned. That crud is going to fall down sooner or later and you don't want it piled up in the bottom.

All of our liners are tested with UL and Warntek without insulation. It is not needed... but if you use a liner that is tested with insulation they you must insulate it... It's all dependent on whether or not the liner was tested by the previous companies with or without insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.