chimney liner and extension planned--any advice or recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WNCburner

Nov 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
Soon to be installing an Osburn 1600 insert into an existing interior masonry chimney. Due to the short hearth I was limited in what I could install, and the Osburn had the biggest firebox I could find at 1.85 cubes. The chimney has a few issues: It is short--just over 10' from the damper to the top of the flue(the manual for the Osburn insert states a requirement for at least 12' of flue). The chimney exits the roof at the peak, but the flue exit is only 2' 4.5" above the peak. It is not quite a straight shot down to the damper, the flue has a couple of small offsets built into it.

I will, of course, have the chimney cleaned before lining, and I'll have to somehow get that monster of a poured concrete cap off of the roof. Aside from these issues, I will be doing the insert and liner/extension project myself, so any advice specific to the project would be great. I have been reading lots of threads about liners and such, but still would appreciate input about my specific situation.

I will be lining the chimney with an insulated kit of some kind--I like the rigid double walled insulated stuff like Simpson duraliner, as I could run another five feet or so out the top of the flue to guarantee good draft without having to do a masonry extension. The manual for the Osburn insert states a requirement for at least 12' of flue Due to the offsets in my flue, I will probably have to use a flex liner for the bottom half. Does anyone have any recommendations, caveats, or other ideas for me before I pursue the flex into rigid idea? Any other products or manufacturers that I should be considering? It gets pretty cold and very windy here, am I asking for trouble with an extension this large? Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 224
I'd get some stone and mortar and extend the flue another few feet. I'd then drop a one piece SS flexliner down it. I'd shoot for over 12', 15' would be a good target.

How would I attach the masonry extension to the existing chimney? Would 12' of insulated 6" liner give me enough draft? I'm a little skeptical of having another 5' on top of my chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.