Chimney liner- Can I use double-wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
I have a friend that offered to give me 20' of double wall stainless stovepipe. I have an insert that was installed by the previous owners of our house without a chimney liner. Has anyone used double wall pipe for a chimney liner?

If it is standard double wall stove pipe, you'll be replacing it after it rots out, and have to go through relining anyways.
Use the proper flex liner or rigid liner and save yourself grief down the road.

Sounds like class A pipe? Big problem is supporting it, but bigger problem is it is not approved for this kind of application.

Double wall connector pipe usually has a stainless inner layer, but again, wrong application.

Don't try to make something work like it isn't supposed to, at least when it comes to your safety. Use a real liner.

I never new that. Those liners look so fragile. What kind of life span do they have? Jay

Many (most?) liners come with a 'lifetime warranty'. I would expect 20+ years with normal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.