Chimney liner dimensions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azthermal1

Nov 18, 2014
MA
Hi all! To those of you with the experience..... How much width do insulation kits add to the OD of the chimney liner? Assume 1/2" insulation kit....

Wondering if the OD of a manually insulated liner is thinner than the OD of a pre insulated liner of comparable means.....

Thanks!
A

Wondering if the OD of a manually insulated liner is thinner than the OD of a pre insulated liner of comparable means.....

To my knowledge, no, unless a pour down insulation is used next to the liner (thermix). But even then, the chimney needs to be in sound order (tiles uncracked and clearances to combustibles for the chimney met) for that to be an option.

What are the dimensions of the chimney you are working with? And what size liner does your stove need?

pen

Chimney is in excellent condition. In the picture taken from the firebox up the chimney, you can see the condition and cleanliness, aside from a few cobwebs and mortar sticking out. Notice the strip of light at the top..... That is due to the slight offset near the top so that the 'view' of the sky is only partial. ID is 7" x 11". Insert says it wants 6". I talked to the company and they said 5.5" is ok if I need it for the flue size. I really wanted insulated for efficiency purposes. Haven't been up in the attic to see if the combustible clearance is up to code. Figured I would be doing insulated and didn't need to check. 25' chimney, interior build.

I did speak to one of two local chimney companies today. He said that he only insulates if the chimney is crappy. He must not be on this forum :)

Can I use ovalized with the offset at the top? Bendable enough?

Can I ovalize pre insulated liner?

Jeez, and I though the hard part would be picking the stove!

Amanda

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 129
Add 1" for the insulation on a liner. DuraVent makes insulated DuraLiner which should work for this installation. It's a nice product and 6 5/8" OD. Or perhaps you could use 5.5" insulated liner if the chimney is two story?

I had been told to add 1.5" for insulated liners... By getting a 5.5", which I am fine doing, that would put us at 7", the exact ID of our flue.

Is the insulated dura liner rigid? I can't use it since I have an offset at the top.....

Thanks though!

DuraLiner is a system. It comes in rigid and flex lengths plus oval sections if needed. They all lock together. There are other pre-insulated liners that may be better for you. Here's an example:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...n-Pre-Insulated-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-6

Thanks! I went to the link above and it looks like the 6" has an OD of 7 1/4", so I suppose the 5.5" would be 6 3/4", which would fit. I will look more into it!

As for Duravent, I really like the idea of a smooth walled rigid product, but installation would be a pain..... Can't install from the top due to offset! But I will look into their flex products for sure....

A

Yes, the whole system is double-walled. Sounds like that offset is going to be a pain regardless. How tall is the chimney and what stove or insert will it connect to?

Yes, the whole system is double-walled. Sounds like that offset is going to be a pain regardless. How tall is the chimney and what stove or insert will it connect to?

The website talked about using an insulation sleeve over the flex part.....

Chimney is 25', connecting to a Supreme Volcano insert. No, not the normal insert around here, but we got a great deal!

Is the offset on the 7" dimension or the 11" dimension? Or both? If only on the 11" dimension there will be some wiggle room.

So could a rigid liner make it all the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.