Chimney liner. Does this seem right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahdi

Sep 2, 2014
RI
I am going to be having a Harman 52i installed. It will be in the center of the house. Chimney was just cleaned. Needs some repair on the top. Other than that it looks good. The Harman dealer said it will only need a short liner. He said either 4 or 6 feet high. I forget which. He didn't feel it was necessary to run to the top. It's a 2 story home. Does this sound right? Thanks for helping!

He is right, you don't NEED one, but with a short one you may have cleaning issues...
A 2-storey home will require a 4" liner, & can be cleaned (brushed) from the top down.
That short run can be cleaned from the inside ONLY, & what you push out with the brush
will fall down around the liner & sit on the block-off plate.
Maybe for the first 2, 3, 4 years, that won't be an issue, but when the stuff
in the cavity around the short liner reaches the top. it'll just fall back into & down the liner.
The only way to get that flyash & soot out, will be to pull the block-off plate.
Imagine what that will be like with that ash & soot filling your house.
There is NO WAY to contain it.
Your call, but I'd go the extra money for the full liner.
Your dealer may call B.S., but I've been there & had to clean that mess
as a service tech. Customer was not too happy, let me tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.