Chimney Liner for Englander 13NC Issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdkerns

Oct 31, 2007
VA
Hello I am new. I have been reading this for a couple weeks.

I bought the Englander 13NC and also ordered the AC-1677 adapter from Englander directly. The adapter is made by Simpson. I did this because the install manual said I would need it to fit the stove to the chimney liner. Incidentally, I am installing a flexible SS chimney liner in a full masonry chimney.

My question has to do with the AC-1677 adapter being 6" on the end that fits to the liner. The liner I ordered, of course, is also 6". Is fitting these two pieces together properly a matter of manipulating the end of the liner so it fits? For example, cutting a few notches in it so the metal can be bent to fit the adapter? I don't understand why the adapter isn't slightly larger than 6" so it can accept the liner without so much trouble.

Thanks!

You also need another part... please hold while I look it up.

---

Ok I don't see this 1677 in the duravent liner catalogs at all. I assume it is a 6" top plate... Ahh I see its not a liner component.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1028

Yeah... you might not even need that. Did you get the liner kit from Simpson? You probably would have been best off with the "insert kit" which comes with an appliance adaptor..

You might need Part 7117 from Simpson

"Join DuraFlex SS length to appliance, rigid lengths, or flex lengths..."

Ok, thanks. I guess that about spoils my install this weekend seeing how nobody in the WASHDC-VA area sells this type of stuff.

I wonder what the AC-1677 is actually for then? The manual states that due to variations in pipe between various manufacturers, the AC-1677 adapter may be required. The end that goes into the stove fits perfect, but the end that goes to a flex or rigid liner is the same size as those items, so it appears Englander sold me a useless piece of metal and now I am SOL.

The piece you purchased is for hooking up Simpson single wall black pipe to the stove I think.

Yes, after reading this several times I can see how that makes sense now. Well perhaps that guy from Englander (Mike?) can chime in and let me know if they have the part you are talking about. They are my only hope at this poinjt since they are in VA. If I order tomorrow it will be here by Friday.

Thanks again!

Six inch flex liners are around six and a quarter inches outside diameter. All of the liner sellers sell an "appliance adapter" to connect it to the stove collar on your 13-NC. If whoever you got the liner from can't get you one pretty quick give Hart's Hearth a call.

This is the part you are looking for.

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=477&idproduct=3874

I bought my last liner and components from them and they were here within 18 hours. I am in Northern Virginia. They have the stuff shipped from a warehouse in Maryland.

Yeah you would not necessarily NEED the simpson part, the one BB suggested would probably work fine as well. They all serve the same purpose.

the 1677 is indeed for hooking up to rigid pipe , i was not aware that it did not connect to simpsons flex liners. i'll have to research that, however , the 13-nc is a freestanding stove and is usually connected to rigid pipe so that may have been where the mixup may have been , however i did not know til now about the flex liner connection. call me at the shop and i'll see about setting up a return for the part.

Yeah, I would not normally expect a stove manual to talk about a direct connect to a liner, that's a fairly rare install. Usually there is either a masonry thimble or a rear vent setup with a Tee.

I now have my Masters in free standing stove and liner installs into a fireplace. No skin left on my knuckles but lots of experience. :coolsmirk:

Three stoves and two liners in 9 months. Same fireplace.

BrotherBart said:
I now have my Masters in free standing stove and liner installs into a fireplace. No skin left on my knuckles but lots of experience. :coolsmirk:

Three stoves and two liners in 9 months. Same fireplace.

yeah , but you wont have to do it again for a long time. and that 30 looks great sitting in there

Thanks everyone this has been a great help, especially the other person in NOVA that provided the part link. Mike, thanks. I will send the part back.

My install is basically the Englander sitting in, or partially in my fireplace cavity. This is the reason for a hookup to flex. I was going to do the Englander insert, but then saw a setup on the Napoleon website where a stove with the legs (vice pedestal) was sitting inside the fireplace. I thought this looked rather unique and a bit more traditional than the utilitarian fireplace insert. So long as I craft a functional and effect damper seal plate, this setup will work very nice I think. Along with the AC-1677, I ordered the blower which will help get the air out of the fireplace. Another thing I noticed is that my fireplace has on outside air inlet, which I plan to feed to the stoves air inlet.

Thanks again all!

Not only unique but it heats one hell of a lot better than an insert.

But you need to get one of these on the way. With the blower in the back of the stove you can't be reaching back there with the stove kicking 500 degrees to adjust the blower speed. I have the suntan to prove it.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008

Also after you have used it a while give some thought to ordering the convection heat shields. I put them on the 30-NC in my fireplace this year and they are great. If it was not back in the fireplace I wouldn't do it. They are butt ugly. When the stove is burning you can hold a match over the top opening of one of them and the convection air coming up out of it will blow the freakin match out. This rising air is blown by the blower right out of the fireplace into the room. It has cut down my wood consumption considerably already. Smaller loads with more heat. I have a Stove-Stat on a side heat shield and the blower kicks on when the stove is at 400 degrees stove top temp. Works like a champ. You need to let the stove get hot before the blower kicks in so that the firebox is hot enough to burn efficiently.

Gotta like another free stander in a fire place guy. Glad you are here.

Thanks Bart. I have an electrician past, so I was thinking of taking the switch out of the motor and soldering in a length of wire. This would obviously allow the switch to be in a position where it could be reached. But I like the temp control better! Thanks!

Mike: I am going to keep the part. I am going to modify it so it can be used to hide whatever is visible of the the flex liner or adapter. Black will look better than that shiny stuff in my setup.

Thanks everyone!

All,

The stove install went great yesterday. The "maiden burn" while watching the Colts-Patriots game was a nice treat. Thanks to all those that provided information, especially to Bart for the link for the adapter. I ordered it on Thursday and it arrived on Friday.

Does anyone know where I can get a product called Flexible Crown by Weathertitie Industries? I am hoping to use this instead of Crown Seal. I heard the Weathertite product is superior.

Thanks again!

***Any opinions,ideas,etc. expressed by me in these posts are mine only and are made only on my behalf and not on the behalf of any other individual or oraganization.

Status
Not open for further replies.