Chimney Liner for oil fired boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnolfini

Sep 26, 2014
North Andover, MA
Hello all,

I'm looking for help in trying to decide whether to DIY a SS liner in my boiler flue. After owning the house for 7 years, I finally opened the cleanout door on my boiler flue and found about 10 gallons of terra cotta flakes and debris at the bottom of the flue. I called a local chimney shop and they recommended a SS liner and chimney cap for about $2k. The chimney is about 30' long, 8"x8" flue with a 7" pipe from the furnace to the flue.

A couple of years ago I installed a wood stove on our other 30' chimney, complete with insulated SS flex liner for much, much less than $2k. With help from articles on this forum, I was able to complete all the work myself with a few hours of planning and a few hours of labor.

My primary concern with working on the boiler flue is that I run into something unexpected I can't handle myself. I also don't know how to attach the boiler pipe to the flex liner. Is this where a tee comes in? Do I need to use liner from the bottom of the tee to the top of the clean out? Do I need to insulate (chimney shop said I didn't, but I'm reading on this forum that I do)? I'm I going to be able to fit a 7" liner down a 8"x8" flue? The hardest part of the woodstove liner installation was bending the liner around the smoke shelf. Can I assume I have a straight run on my boiler flue?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight provided. 20140926_200453.jpg

It looks like it is an outside chimney by the basement wall setup you have. That said an insulated liner is better to prevent condensation. You do not need to install the liner all the way to the cleanout. You can use a T on the boiler connection and leave the bottom open. You may need to break out the old liner for the new SS liner to fit, YouTube clay liner removal etc.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.