Chimney Liner Help Neede

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbeals

Sep 25, 2008
South East, NH
Hello fellow wood burners. I installed a Jotul 550 inset last year, we have a 25' exterior masonry chimney with an uninsulated SS full liner (no block off at base). I have 3 flues and have a custom made cap coming later this week that will cover all three flues. I will be taking the small, 6" thimble looking cap off and want to insulate the top 2'-3' of my liner with kaowool prior to the cap going on and ensuring that I have sealed block off at the top (it isn't right now, as there are areas that the first installer did not seal. Given this situation I have two questions:

1.) Will insulating and sealing the space between the clay tile flue and liner with kaowool provide benefits in terms of keeping more heat in the house and keeping a hotter liner to produce less creosote?

2.) Where can I find kaowool in the NH or New England area? I went to 6 stove shops today with no luck.

Thanks in advanced.

Brian

kamco has it, or equivalent.

Insulation is mainly there to stop chimney fires spreading to the house, so ideally you insulate the length of it. If that's not an option, insulating what you can, and blocking top/bottom may help reduce creosote to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.