Chimney liner install plan has taken a nasty turn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtrl9

Jan 14, 2016
Va
Yes indeed folks, now that I've lured you in. I was pretty sure I was going to DIY my insulated liner, fabricate a cement board line the whole fireplace plus a block off plate stuff some roxul up around the top and save a few bucks. I decided to have my chimney professionally cleaned before doing the liner and they told me that my main floor flue is a strange one because it takes a turn so sharp in a ~8"x~11" that you can't see day light or a light in the bottom. So they are highly pushing for a pro install and them breaking out tiles to make the turn with the liner; which would probably be the best course of action for 2 reasons I can think of. 1 is I'm not sure I can accurately do the breakout on my own and 2 even if no breakout was done a straighter liner is going to draft better.

So my main question is, can I go ahead and fabricate my insulated fireplace? I do have my insert but have not modified the existing damper for the fireplace. The pros don't know what I'm talking about with my "block off plate and insulated fireplace" request, the best I got from them was they would put some fiberwool up in the smoke shelf. Advice away!

Other "pros" around that you can get a second quote? If you get a blank stare about a block off plate, I would be cautious. My 2 cents...

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Agreed. A block-off plate is required for a direct connect installation. (short stub of liner to above the damper area). I wouldn't recommend going that route, but they should be familiar with that option.

Block off plates are not the industry standard and many guys do not and have never done one. Just because they don't do them does not mean they are bad installers but if they wont i would strongly recommend doing one yourself. And the direct connect argument doesn't make sense because any reputable installer does not install that way ever.

But yes i would probably break out in your situation also

I don't like or encourage direct connect installations but they are listed as an code legal option in many insert manuals including Regency, Lopi and Quadrafire. It's surprising a certified installer would not at least know about them for poured insulation at least. Certainly they must read some manuals. Some insert manuals like Lopi and Century inserts even have a how-to install guide.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.27.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.25.00 PM.png

It's surprising a certified installer would not at least know about them for poured insulation at least. Certainly they must read some manuals. Some insert manuals like Lopi and Century inserts even have a how-to install guide.
Why would they read the instructions for a type of install they will never do. And on the few fireplace installs that I have done pour in insulation on I don't do a block off plate I pack around the liner with insulation then parge over that with chamber tech. I have seen to many that just had a plate that leaked insulation down on the insert constantly. I agree that every fireplace with a stove or insert in it should have a block off plate with out a doubt and every one I have installed has one except for the few I have poured as I said before. But most installers don't do them because it is not required by code or for safety reasons and it adds cost to the install which makes their install less competitive. I am by no means saying it is right that they don't do them or even know about them but just because they don't does not mean they are not good installers. Just not as good as they could be..

Reactions: Squisher
The breakout sounds like the way to go, but my question is/was can I make the blockoff plate and insulate my fireplace before the breakout and liner install and/or can I do the breakout myself?

I just don't want to fork over a bunch of money and have to pull the insert out to insulate it after the "install". The installer seems pretty knowledgeable but he is unfamiliar with the concept of a block-off plate. They are scheduled to seal the flashing on my chimney in the next couple weeks so I'm hoping I can prefab part of it before the liner part happens regardless of me or them doing installation.

hey are scheduled to seal the flashing on my chimney in the next couple weeks
Seal the flashing??? You should not seal flashing. No you cant put the block off plate of insulating panels in before the break out. But you could prefab them for the guys to put in when they install

The exterior flashing where the chimney penetrates my roof(s) roof on the back part of the house is 2' higher than the main part of the house and the stone and mortar chimney goes right up the seam of the two, and its friggn leaking when it rains, runs down the face of the chimney in the living room and runs down inside the wall in my bedroom! So they were going to use some fancy fiberglass backed stuff pretty sure its called "chimney seal" I have the brochure at home.

Ok well at least I can still get the install I want done. I did get another quote by the way @Lake Girl , this one is the cheapest one I got actually and the other people didn't seem half as knowledgeable when I was asking questions; but maybe I'm starting to look into a career change into the chimney business LOL!

The exterior flashing where the chimney penetrates my roof(s) roof on the back part of the house is 2' higher than the main part of the house and the stone and mortar chimney goes right up the seam of the two, and its friggn leaking when it rains, runs down the face of the chimney in the living room and runs down inside the wall in my bedroom! So they were going to use some fancy fiberglass backed stuff pretty sure its called "chimney seal" I have the brochure at home.
Yeah that stuff is a band-aid don't waste the money have it re flashed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.