Chimney liner install - top side question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
Hey guys, so finally ready to buy my liner and install my wood stove insert. I went up on my roof this weekend to see what i had to work with for my install and if the liner kit i am planning on purchasing will work out. Two questions resulted:
1) The top of the chimney is in worse shape than I thought (see pics). House was built in the 70s in new England so it has seen some winters to say the least. Does it look like something i should be worried about or is it fine?
2) I am going to go with the liner from fireside chimney supply, they seem to have great customer service, products and price (see link below). My chimney currently has two flues, one for the fireplace which i will be using for the liner, and one for the oil furnace. As you can see in the picture it already has a nice cap that covers both. If i use the chimney cap that comes with the liner, can i just cut the top part (cap part) off the piece that comes with the kit and let the liner stick up, but under the cap that is already on the chiminey? I can draw this out if you don't follow. This would be the easiest and cleanest solution i can come up with to keep the furnace part covered.

Chiminy liner i am going to get:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-25-Stainless-Flexible-Chimney-Liner-Insert-Kit-/260652575804

Attachments

• 20150809_162849.jpg
    20150809_162849.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 20150809_163239.jpg
    20150809_163239.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 185
You'll need to do a Top Plate at least. But a Storm collar may be a good idea as well. I'll let the experts answer that :)

Oh, I see your kit has a Top Plate.... Good... You will want to insulate the tube as well...

Reactions: bholler
Yeah the top of your chimney is going to need some work soon. How high it that cap? I think you may not have enough room between the top of your new liner and the under side of that cap. It could cause issues

And yes like donzi said insulation and i will add blockoff plate to the list

Yes, planning on doing insulation wrap, block off plate, as well as stuffing roxul around top and bottom. It is an exterior 2 story chiminey, I measured i need a 23' liner. I was planning on using the top plate provided in the kit, just not using the cap the kit provides and using the existing cap that is already installed on my chiminey.

What does a storm collar do for me in this installation?
There is no storm collar with that type of top setup.

I was planning on using the top plate provided in the kit, just not using the cap the kit provides and using the existing cap that is already installed on my chiminey.
I think your existing cap may be to low for it to work right

There is no storm collar with that type of top setup.

I think your existing cap may be to low for it to work right
I am planning on cutting the part provided shown in the picture where the red line is. If this will not work, what would you suggest?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 145
I dont think you would have to cut anything just don't use the cap. But i dont think there will be enough space between the top of that top collar and the under side of your existing cap it looks like your cap is a 10" high cap the clay sticks up 1.5" to 2" then your top plate is 5" to 6" that only leaves a couple inches of space there. That will most likely cause a problem. i would say you either need a taller multiflue cap or use the provided one.

You need 4" from the top of the liner to the cap. It looks like you will be really pushing that. It will be best if you use the cap that's provided.

Reactions: bholler
Yes and 4 is a minimum For a wood stove i like to give a distance equal to the diameter of the line. So 6" in your case. But yes 4 is the minimum

Would you try to cut a hole in the cap that i have that will go around the cap that will come with the kit? Or should i also get a cap for the furnace flue and take off the chiminy cap that is currently up there?

If there is not enough room under the existing cap you will either need to get a taller multi flue cap or use the provided one and get another for the furnace. No i would not cut a hole in the cap that is there i see gas guys do that all the time and it looks rediculous

Reactions: webby3650
Tough to tell what the other sides of the chimney look like, but I think a good amount of tuck pointing is in order to sure up all the joints between the bricks. Looks like there might have already been an application of Crown Seal or the like on the crown--is that right? Maybe another coat is in order.
Have you had the setup inspected by a good sweep yet?
Good luck with the install.

Tough to tell what the other sides of the chimney look like, but I think a good amount of tuck pointing is in order to sure up all the joints between the bricks. Looks like there might have already been an application of Crown Seal or the like on the crown--is that right? Maybe another coat is in order.
Crown coat wont fix that it needs a crown and probably a few courses relaid

Reactions: KpR
Status
Not open for further replies.