Chimney liner installation question for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jssls

Jul 17, 2008
Central Maine
I am looking to put a 4" liner down an 8" x 8" chimney for a pellet stove installation in my basement family room. I have an 8" thimble in the chimney. I have seen instuctions to drop a liner down and put a tee in to come through the thimble. How is the tee suppose to work for clean out. The tee would be below grade so an access door is not a possibility. I was assuming I could bend the flexible liner through the thimble, convert to rigid pipe and go the rest of the way to the stove with that with a tee at the stove. Does this sound practical or do I need another plan?

That is what both me and Fourm member Todd did with 5.5" liners for our wood stoves and they work fine. Just be very slow and careful making the bend into the thimble so as not to kink the liner. No need for a tee on the pipe since it is just as easy to just pull the pipe and brush it out at cleaning time.

Status
Not open for further replies.