chimney liner installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fph9999

Mar 10, 2010
bc
I have a 7"x8" flue and a length of only 16ft.
I would like to install a 6" flexible stainless steel liner.
I also want to add a ceramic insulation blanket.
\
How thick a blanket can in wrap to fit into my flue? 1/2"?

Since my length is only 16 ft, I would prefer to install the liner from the bottom up. That is, feed the liner from the fireplace and have a helper pull the liner from the roof. Are there any drawbacks to a liner installation using this method?

You likely wont go bottom up with a 1/2 on it. Doubt youll get away with 1/2 either in a 7x8. Dropped mine by myself top down in seconds without ins though. Let us know how it works out.

I don't think you'll fit an insulated 6" liner in that flue but you do have options.. You can install a 5" insulated liner and it will probably fit OK or you can install a 6" liner then pour in insulation after the liner goes in and lastly you could knock out the chimney tile and install a 6" insulated liner.. I'll let the experts chime in for any other and best options for your situation..

Good Luck,
Ray

I have a 7x11 flue. I installed a 6 inch liner with 1/2 insulation. It busted my balls the whole way down but I eventually got it down. I had to make it a little oval to fit with the insulation blanket. I also had my pops down in the fireplace pulling with a rope attached to the liner. If none of the tiles are offset in the chimney you could probably fit it easier than I did. Hope it helps.

I seriously doubt you will be able to get a 6" liner down (or up) your chimney with insulation on it. The best thing to do would be to install the liner with a bottom stop and then use a Thermix type insulation to pour down after and vibrate into place. The stop at the bottom will keep it from oozing out into your fireplace. By my calculations, it would only take 1 bag of Thermix to do the job. That being said, you are providing very little insulation with anything that will fit in the space available. I guess every little bit helps in a cold environment. 1/4" insulation is also available.
http://www.servicesales.com/chimney-liner-insulation-i-19.html

When it's an outside chimney, insulation helps provide better draft...

And...? Anybody...? Bueller?

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.