chimney liner/pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Dimmick

Nov 7, 2012
Central PA
I currently have a 4" pellet pipe vented directly into my chimney (with no liner). It works wonderful when it's above 30 deg. Because it was so cold last year, I bought a multi-fuel pellet furnace (hot air) and plan on installing this in my basement utilizing the same chimney. I obviously know I need to remove the other stove from this chimney, but my main concerns are the following.

1) Can I use galvanized pipe the entire length of the chimney if I put a cover over top of the entire chimney so no rain will get in?

2) If I get my chimney inspected, would you vent the furnace directly into the chimney with no pipe or liner?

I have been told so many different things, I don't know what to believe.

Obviously, stainless is expensive, and i'll probably have $500-$1000 just in the piping. I have about 20-25ft run.

No on the galvanized pipe. You want SS.

Got the stainless. Now i have read some manufacturers require 0" clearance from mortar, but the one i got says 1". Those spacers aren't cheap, and i need 4, anyone think i really need them?

Got the stainless. Now i have read some manufacturers require 0" clearance from mortar, but the one i got says 1". Those spacers aren't cheap, and i need 4, anyone think i really need them?
what liner requires 1" to the masonry? What type liner is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.