Chimney Liner Question - Bottom termination plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy08

Dec 5, 2008
Southern Tier NY
Would like to maintain one of my fireplace as is. I need to install a chimney liner. I have read many postings and understand to use a stainless steal liner kit. My question is, has anyone had good or bad luck installing a bottom termination plate? I am concerned that smoke will seek out a way around the plate and end up between the new liner and the clay original chimney liner thus entering the house. ???

Are you saying that you want to install a liner & not install a more efficient
wood burning appliance - such as a stove or insert?
If you are, you're going to have to install a liner that is as close to the size
of the original flue tile as possible, or it's NOT gonna draft.
Measure your fireplace opening, & figure out the square inches of it.
Your flue cannot be less than 10% of that number, or it won't meet
NFPA 211 criteria & may be useless without an appliance connected to it...

If the original clay chimney is unsafe, simply adding a steel liner is not sufficient as I understand it. You'll need insulation and all that jive since your clay chimney is no longer providing a safe containment of the gasses.

So pros, can you simply line an unsafe chimney or must you repair the chimney before lining? Maybe a cast in place liner? Or my favorite option, tear it down and put in a metal chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.