Chimney Liner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
Just got off the phone with my install guy and he confirmed my suspicion: My 6" stainless liner is suspended inside the chimney by nothing more than the two screws securing the cap. The heads of the screws rest on top of the storm collar and the storm collar rests atop the chimney.
Is this normal? C'MON MAN !!!!

note: i have a combo of about 8' of rigid at the top connected to another couple of feet of flex at the bottom. we had to do it that way because my flue has sort of a dog leg at the bottom. so i'm worried about the liner dropping. even if it only drops, say, a foot, it might be enough for the weight of the rigid to come down on the flex portion the wrong way and crimp it.
so what do i suspend my flue from? you mention a locking band. i would imagine that there's some kind of a bracket involved. thanks for the info.

Most flex liners are secured to the top plate by a locking band. But yea it all hangs from the top plate which is connected to the top of the chimney.

I know my liner was a tight fit so really not much weight is hanging on the top plate.

Mine sounds like the same kind of fit. Secured with a locking band, but the liner was so tight, it wouldn't go anywhere anyway.

I'll try to get some time and crawl up there tonight. Thanks guys.

Here's pics with the cap already removed.

100_5984.JPG 100_5985.JPG

Maybe I'm fuzzy on terminology. Let me make sure:
The top plate is obvious, right? And the flue is easy. But is that collar with the band clamp fastener the storm collar or the locking band that you referred to, or are we talking about the same thing?
Either way, on my install you apparently crank down on the band clamp which tightens the storm collar/locking band and then there's one single self-tapping screw that goes into the side of the flue above the sc/lb that keeps the flue from dropping.
Really? One screw keeps it up? I guess two would be better but I just figured it'd be more than screw heads holding the flue up. (And yeah- it wouldn't drop that much anyway, but like I said before, I'm worried that the weight would fall on the flex portion at the bottom and squish it against the inside of my goofy chimney flue)
Thanks guys.

Mine looked like this (note the band clamp on the top plate):

1542_large5.jpg

My liner was tight and wasn't going to move up and down anyway, so I tightened the clamp, let 2" of the flex run over the top, cut a few slits in it, and did a small "banana peel" over the top (just to be extra safe). Can't see it anyway with the cap in place anyway.

You'd think there would be a band under that storm collar doing the actual holding up of the liner.

craig- your top plate looks to be one piece along with the top section of pipe. As you can see my guy just cut a hole in the top plate and shoved the liner thruogh.

holiday- that's exactly what I was thinking.

Think I'm just gonna throw two more, larger diameter screws in the flue and crank down on my storm collar, and call it a day.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.